Baseball sweeps All-Ivy awards

The Dartmouth baseball team " this year's Red Rolfe Divison Champion -- cleaned house in all major Ivy baseball awards announced yesterday.

Dartmouth became the first team ever to sweep the awards as Brian Nickerson '00 took the Player of the Year; Conor Brooks '00, Pitcher of the Year; and freshman Mike Mileusnic the Rookie of the Year.

Nickerson received the Player of the Year award with an Ivy-leading 25 runs, 27 RBIs, 57 total bases and eight home runs. The 1997 Ivy Rookie of the Year winner also hit .372 and .403 in league play. Nickerson's stellar play at the hot corner also helped him earn first team honors by a unanimous decision.

Brooks was handed the Ivy Pitcher of the Year honors after an impressive 8-2 record and a second consecutive league lead in strikeouts with 91. The Pitcher of the Year Award is the first for Dartmouth since current Atlanta Brave Mike Remlinger '88 took the honor in 1987. Brooks also maintained a dismal 2.05 ERA and was the Green's second unanimous first-teamer.

Freshman designated hitter Mileusnic, who was able to step up for the injured Aaron Meyer '00 this season did so quite adequately, tying for a league's best batting average at .376, and at .406 in league play. Mileusnic, who won the Ivy Player of the Week three times, went on a tear to end the season becoming a potent force in the Big Green lineup.

Right-handed hurler Jon Miller '00 earned first team honors for his 28 innings of relief appearance and 1.93 ERA. Miller garnered a Dartmouth record six saves for his efforts on the hill.

James Little '00, Dartmouth career leader in runs and hits was also able to gain his second consecutive first team honor with a league leading 61 hits and five triples.

Catcher Mike Levy '01, pitcher John Velosky '02 and Meyer were awarded the league's Honorable Mention. All the awards were chosen by the league's head coaches.