Baseball on deck for Ivy Champs

The Dartmouth baseball team (17-3 Ivy) claimed its first-ever Red Rolfe title last Saturday. They can win it all this weekend in the Ivy League Championship against Lou Gehrig division winner Princeton (13-7).

The first game starts at noon, while the second game will be played 25 minutes after the end of the first game. The third game will be played on Sunday at 1 p.m. if necessary. The games will be broadcast on WDCR (1340 AM).

The winner of the Ivy League will earn an automatic berth in the 2000 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament.

The two teams will clash tomorrow on Clark Field in Princeton, N.J. in the best-of-three league title game. The Tigers have won the last five Gehrig championships, while the Big Green makes its first postseason appearance since 1987.

Earlier in the season, Dartmouth swept Princeton 4-2, 13-4 on April 1 in its first two games since returning from Florida. Jim Kelly '03 and Conor Brooks '00 earned wins in the sweep.

After starting the season 7-8 during the spring trip in Florida, Dartmouth bounced back to dominate team after team and recorded a stunning 21-4 mark after the trip.

Last weekend, Dartmouth raced to wins over Harvard to clinch the division title. With their strong showings last weekend, pitcher Brooks and catcher Mike Levy '01 received the league's Pitcher of the Week and Player of the Week, respectively.

Brooks pitched an 11-inning complete game in the division-winning game at Harvard, while he fanned 12 batters. Despite allowing nine hits, Brooks' pitching helped the Big Green to rout the Crimson in a 3-2 victory. Brooks has won the award four times in the six-week season.

The Plymouth, Mass., native is ranked as the nation's 25th pitcher, while he leads the Big Green pitching staff with a 1.92 ERA. The team as a whole has a league-best 4.18 ERA.

Levy hit a dazzling .500 last weekend, including a 7-for-8 performance in Sunday's doubleheader at home. The Atlanta native hit a game-winning sacrifice fly in the 11th inning on Saturday. The junior drove in nine RBI, in addition to tallying four runs, four doubles, a triple, two walks and seven hits.