Softball grabs two wins vs. UVM

The Big Green softball team swept a double-header against Vermont yesterday behind a strong pitching performances of Christine Quattrocchi '03 and Stacy Sanders '00.

Dartmouth won 1-0 in the opener, and 5-2 in the nightcap to improve their record to 15-9 on the season as they hit the road this weekend.

Quattrocchi led the way for the Big Green in the first game, striking out ten batters en route to her 10th victory of the season. She allowed only one hit all game against the Catamounts.

The freshman hurler received all the help she needed in the first inningfrom her teammates as Kristin King '02 homered to the left field to score the game's only run.

"I wouldn't say that expected us to score only one run but whenever Quattrocchi is on the mound, I know that we can hold it," said Head Coach Steffany Bender after the games.

The second half of the double header proved to be a bit more exciting as Vermont jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second, after successfully executing a double steal with runners in the corners.

Dartmouth answered in the bottom of the third when Jen Madsen '02 scored on a fielder's choice RBI by King.

"I have actually been in sort of a slump since starting after hockey season and it felt really good to help the team out," King said. "But I think that Quattro contributed even more by not allowing any hits until the 7th inning."

Cherie Comeau '02, who had singled ahead of King, gave the Big Green a 2-1 lead when she and King pulled a double steal of their own. Although King was punched out at second, Comeau easily scored to put Dartmouth ahead.

Vermont's Jamie Sawyer tied the game at 2-2 when she hit a solo shot to left with two-outs.

After that one mistake, senior pitcher Sanders, who had been steady all game, just took over. In the final two and a third innings, Sanders allowed just one hit.

"[Stacy] is mixes her pitches well. She's a quality pitcher," Bender said of Sanders' performance. "Stacy showed that she could get the big out when she needed it; she came out in the sixth inning and got ahead of batters."

Dartmouth got Sanders a lead to work with in the fifth inning as Sarah Damon '02 drew a walk from Catamount pitcher Kelly Drayton.

After Comeau sacrificed Damon into scoring position, King delivered an RBI single to give the Big Green a 3-2 lead. Chiara Grabill then picked up her team-leading 20th RBI of the season when her singled plated King.

The rally continued when freshman Kisa Brannen's double scored Grabill from first base. Carrie Hoverman followed with a single up the middle, but Brannen was gunned down at the plate, to end the inning with Dartmouth leading 5-2.

"These games were huge," King said. "They built up our confidence and there really isn't a better situation to be in."

"Going into the first Ivy weekend after having just won two close games is just what we needed."

Sanders recorded a season-high seven strikeouts for the Big Green's second victory and set a new personal best for strikeouts in a season with 39.

Dartmouth has now won 10 of their last 12 games and will use that momentum to as the travel to take on Brown tomorrow afternoon and the Yale Bulldogs on Sunday.

"We have a lot of confidence heading into this weekend," said Steffany Bender of the upcoming road trip. "We're as prepared as we can be."