Minority opinions on statement mixed

Students involved with cultural and minority groups have mixed opinions on the Trustees' statement on the Student Life Initiative released last Wednesday. While many were not necessarily displeased with the report itself, some were disappointed at the items left out of the report.

Roy Ogura '02, president of the Dartmouth Japan Society said he feels the statement is very general and is not sure what to expect in the future.

He said he is interested in group talks with Dean of the College James Larimore such as the discussion the Pan-Asian Council had with Larimore Monday night.

Ogura said he hopes for more specifics about the proposed World Culture Initiative and cultural center. He also hopes for a stronger Asian studies center.

Soon Ho Lee '02, president of the Korean American Students Organization, echoed Ogura's sentiments, saying, "I like that they're trying to remedy the [cultural] situation with the World Cultures Initiative."

Lee said he and his organization are focusing on making another attempt at getting a Korean Language or Korean Studies program at the College. An attempt in 1995 failed to pass through the faculty.

Peter Jacobsen, intern to the office of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Advocacy and treasurer of the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance, said he also is "pro-Larimore" but is not satisfied with the Trustees' statement.

"My personal feeling is that it didn't go far enough," he said. "[The GLBT community] put in a lot of time and energy making our ideas known, and I'm not sure I feel like they were incorporated."

Jacobsen said he and other members of the DRA are excited to have their program liaison Pam Misener's position increased to full-time from half-time.

Similarly, co-chair of the Pan-Asian Council Christen Einsiedler '00 said she is happy that the Asian and Asian-American students program liaison Nora Yasumura will also be full-time. Dartmouth Asian Organization president Aki Naito '01 also said she is pleased that the position has been increased.

"It's a great step towards helping students of color as well as the community in general by giving us a resource like that," Naito said.

Milan president Arun Palakurthy expressed concern that the needs of minority students were not specifically addressed and that the Trustees' statement "doesn't really do much" for the minority community.

Omar Rashid '00, president of La Alianza Latina, disagreed with this statement. "People have said they are disappointed that there aren't specifics, but there are no easy answers to these problems," he said.

Rashid said he feels education is an important step in making the Dartmouth community better for all students.

"I think Dean Larimore's letter is a very good start," he said.

Rashid said he hopes the committee that will be working on the World Culture Initiative will keep students abreast of their discussions and ideas. Rashid also noted the problems with some student organizations, including the Greek system but said they should be fixed internally and not by the Trustees.

"We want houses and organizations to criticize themselves -- what are the problems with them?" he said. "If the administration, faculty and students can seriously address these concerns, I think we can be optimistic."

Nicole Leiser '02, president of Hillel, said she is disappointed that the Trustees' statement did not include specifics because her organization had distinct concerns.

"We're definitely unsatisfied with the Initiative because it doesn't address the issue of kosher dining," she said.

Leiser noted that Dartmouth is the only Ivy League school that doesn't have kosher dining.

"I spoke with a girl who was upset because we have to have a meal plan but the meal plan doesn't support her needs," she said.

Leiser said she has gotten e-mails from members of the Class of 2004 concerned with Jewish life on campus.

"I tell them we have a great Jewish life on campus, but then I can't tell them the dining's so great," she said.

"It's sort of a vicious cycle because we can't attract students who are strictly religious because Dartmouth doesn't offer the kosher dining necessary for them," she said.

Afro-American Society Olivia Carpenter '00 declined to speak with The Dartmouth, citing a need to speak with AAm members before commenting. Muslim students organization, Al-Nur, president Yousuf Haque '02 had no comment on the Initiative at press time.