Men's lax downs Sacred Heart

Thanks to ten saves from goalkeeper Patrick McClammer '02 and a stifling defense, Dartmouth shut down Sacred Heart on the road for a10-4 victory Wednesday afternoon. Gregg Edell '00 led the offensive attack with two goals and an assist.

The game started out close with Dartmouth taking a slim 5-3 lead by the end of the first half. In the third period, however, the Big Green broke the game open by scoring four goals while holding the Pioneers scoreless.

Dartmouth scored another goal in the final quarter before Scott MacArthur '02 relieved McClammer in the net. Sacred Heart would score once more.

By allowing only four goals on the afternoon, Dartmouth had its best defensive performance of the season. It was also the team's most democratic, as nine players made scoring contributions -- David Farber '03, Scott Roslyn '03, Schuyler Minert '01, Connor Price '02, Jeremy Desor '00, Ryan Beible '03, Alex Grishman '01, and Wes Lippman '03. Desor added two assists.

Four Pioneer players each had one goal in the game. Goalie Mike Kelly made four saves and gave up four in 37 minutes of play while Mike DiPietro saved six and allowed six in 23 minutes. The loss, which is Sacred Heart's third in a row, drops them to 4-7 on the season.

"The key to winning today was playing well on both ends of the field." said starting goaltender McClammer. "Although we struggled at some points during the game we accomplished what we came to do and that was win."

"All we can do to prepare for the Ivy League is practice hard and play hard. There is no two ways about it. To be successful we must play as a team and be consistent at all positions on the field. It comes down to which ever team plays smarter and hustles more wins the game."

Dartmouth, which was coming off its first Ivy League game, a close 4-7 loss to Penn, improves to 4-4 (0-1 Ivy). The Big Green next travels to Ithaca this Saturday to take on Cornell, which is coming off a huge win against formerly undefeated and top-ranked Syracuse.