June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Baseball KOs Yalies for sweep

It was a struggle, especially in the second game of a double-header against Yale, but the Dartmouth baseball team reeled off its tenth and eleventh consecutive victories on Monday at home to match a school record. Dartmouth beat Yale 6-3 and 16-6 in the two games.

The Big Green won Game One behind a solid performance from starting pitcher Jeff Dutremble '01, who struck out seven batters in six and a third innings to up his season record to 3-1. Craig Breslow took the loss for Yale in game one.

Brian Nickerson '00 hit a three-run opposite field bomb that ricocheted off the top of the Leverone Field House roof. The home run, his eighth of the season, capped off a five-run second inning and was the eventual gamewinner, as Yale scored only three runs, one in the fifth and two in the seventh.

First baseman Aaron Meyer '00 went 2-for-3 in Game One and second baseman Chris Miranda '01went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.

R.D. Desantis played well in Game One for Yale, going 3-for-4, and Mike Kahney chipped in with three hits in three at bats.

The Big Green had a tougher time early in the second game. Dartmouth trailed 5-0 going into the fourth inning, but they rallied to tie the game at 5-5 after five innings.

Jason Dacosta '03 made it 6-5 with three innings to play on Yale starter Jon Steitz's pitch that went astray, dribbling by Bulldog catcher Darren Beasley.

Dartmouth scored 10 more runs in the game, including a seven-run inning in which the team batted around in the eighth inning. Pitcher

John Velosky '02 received his sixth win of the season in the 16-6 victory.

His only loss came against Hofstra in a 3-2 loss on Long Island.

Catcher Michael Levy '02 provided some of the offensive punch for the Green, going 3-for-5 with three RBI. Shortstop Joe Rockers '01 was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI. Designated hitter Dacosta was 2-for-4 for the game with two runs scored and two RBI.

Dartmouth has won 17 of 20 games since returning from Florida over spring break. The team's record is now an impressive 24-11. The Big Green's conference record is now 14-2.

Dartmouth remains in first place ahead of Harvard in the Red Rolfe Division of the Ivy League. The fourteen Ivy League victories is the most in head coach Bob Whalen's 11-year coaching career.