Montgomery fellows announced

The College's Kenneth and Harle Montgomery Fellowship program has selected internationally renowned composer Steve Reich and video art pioneer Beryl Korot as this term's first Montgomery Fellows.

The two fellows will host a series of events, including a presentation of their three-act opera, "The Cave." Exhibited at many American and European museums and galleries, the audio-visual/multimedia piece explores the Biblical story of Abraham, Sarah, Hagar, Ishmael and Isaac.

The couple will also present their documentary, "Three Tales: A Documentary Video Opera" on April 13. Hindenburg, the first act of the three-part documentary, reflects on the role of technology in the 20th century. The piece was exhibited as part of "The American Century" exhibit at the Whitney Museum.

Reich, an Grammy Award winner, has been an influential force in developing the Minimalist movement in music. He has composed a variety of works, ranging from western classical music to modern American music, such as jazz.

A graduate of Cornell University and the Julliard School of Music, Reich is a member of the American Academy of Arts.

Korot, a pioneer in video art, has done extensive work with multiple channel installations, which incorporate different types of media, such as drawings, weavings and notations. Her early multiple channel works include "Dachau" and "Text and Commentary."

Korot's accomplishments include far more than her work in video art. She devoted most of the 1980s to oil paintings, some of which have been displayed at the Carnegie Museum.

Past Montgomery Fellows have included playwright August Wilson, historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, and Grammy-award winning singer and songwriter Sheryl Crow, featured last term as part of the continuing "Making Movies, Making Music" series.

The fellows are brought to Dartmouth as part of the Montgomery Endowment, established in 1977 by Kenneth Montgomery '25 and his wife Harle.