Berry has progressed despite controversy

Even before construction crews started their work, many at the College were concerned about the visual impact that the new Berry Library would create.

The building's design, as well as speculation over construction logistics created a campus-wide controversy. Nevertheless, the construction has come far.

Students and faculty petitioned the College nearly three years ago regarding the proposed design of the addition to Baker Library, arguing that it did not fit in with other architecture on the campus and that the size and scope of the 60-million dollar project was exorbitant.

Nearly 1,500 students signed a petition against the approved design of the building that was submitted to the Board of Trustees in November 1997. At the same time faculty members, spearheaded by art history professor Joy Kenseth, actively spoke out against the design of the project.

Most professors and students interviewed by The Dartmouth this week said they will not decide whether the Berry Library actually does fit into the grand scheme of the campus until the scaffolding and plastic covering are removed.

Art history professor David McGrath said although he does not think it will be a "great building," he is suspending judgment until the actual construct is more visible.

"Robin Venturi is a good architect," McGrath said, but he added that he is not sure that the building's style is appropriate for the campus.

Art history professor Margaret Spicer said she drives around and looks at Berry's skeletal structure, but feels it is too early to express an opinion on its aesthetic merits.

During the time when plans for Berry were still being formed, both Spicer and McGrath were members of the Design Review Committee, which is charged with advising the Trustees on architectural decisions. Since then, McGrath has resigned from the committee in protest against the approval of Berry's postmodern design.

Early in the construction process, crews closed off Elm Street with a fence so that people could not walk into the construction site. Many students initially jumped the fence, and others used the Baker Reserve hall to cross from one side of the library to the other.

Now, however, there is a lot more than a fence to block people from walking through that path, and the Reserves remain a popular passageway.

Chance Hill '01, who actively protested the Berry plans two years ago, said that more than anything, he just wants the building to be finished so he can walk through the area that is now off limits to pedestrians.

He also said, "The construction site is more unattractive than almost any finished design."

Building did proceed as scheduled and campus opinions were heard, though they may have been ultimately disregarded by those responsible for the decision.

Concern over the project was largely a result of the unique design created by architect Robert Venturi.

Kenseth previously told The Dartmouth that this accounted for some of her opposition to the building, though other factors were also responsible.

"What I found problematic was the mass of the building ... and the way it was crowded next to surrounding buildings, which is quite unlike what happens to most buildings on the central campus," she said. "It's exactly what I thought it was going to be," she added.

Kenseth could not be reached for comment when The Dartmouth tried to contact her this week.

Construction of the addition to the current library facility began on time in February of 1998 and is slated for completion this fall.

The construction process has not been seamless either, though, as it conflicted with the renovation of Webster Hall, which now houses the Rauner Special Collections library.

The issue arose when special collections were housed in Baker during the renovation, and construction of Berry required some of the space in Baker to be eliminated temporarily.

There was speculation that rare books and other items in the College's special collections might be forced into storage as a result of the project.

While the project may be slightly delayed from its initial expected completion date, the large-scale addition to Baker will not be significantly late in its actualization as a building used by the campus.

The project was funded by John Berry '44, who donated more than 27.5 million dollars to build the addition. Several others also gave large donations over they years, some as large as several million dollars.

Berry, whose company founded the Yellow Pages, previously told The Dartmouth he donated the money because he wanted to help young people in their academic endeavors.

"I've given back in ways that will help young people," he said. "Education is the backbone of this country and is what is going to keep this country strong."