Silver selected as new International director

Acting Director of the International Office Steve Silver has been selected to permanently fill that position.

Silver was chosen out of a pool of over 100 candidates in a national search for a new director by a committee comprised of faculty, administrative, undergraduate and graduate student members who narrowed the field of applicants and conducted interviews.

Senior Associate Dean of the College Dan Nelson announced the decision this week.

Silver said he was pleased to have been chosen to fill the position. This will give him an opportunity to continue the programs he has been working on during his temporary tenure in the office over the past six months.

"It's not so much that I'll do things differently," Silver said, "It's that I'll be able to do more of the things I started."

Silver also said he plans to continue the office's work with international students and the whole campus, and that he wants all Dartmouth students to be involved in the office's programming.

He added that he was given a great deal of freedom while he was acting director, and said that as a result, he has already been able to begin some of the projects he wanted to put in place, though he is still hoping to begin developing an international student leadership program.

"The clear message that came out of the search [for a new director] ... is that he will do an outstanding job," Nelson said

Silver began his work in the International Office as Acting Director after the position was vacated last summer.

His permanent appointment to the office comes after serving for nine years as associate director of Admissions, where he oversaw international undergraduate student recruitment.

Prior to coming to Dartmouth, Silver worked at Lafayette College as well as Clarkson University. Silver graduated from Colgate University in 1976 and received his master's degree in education from George Washington University in 1980.

He replaces Guilan Wang, who left the office for a position at Central Michigan University.