Sheryl Crow performs for Spaulding crowd

Singer, songwriter ... and now Montgomery Fellow Sheryl Crow answered questions and talked about the lyrics of the songs she performed yesterday in front of approximately 800 students in Spaulding Auditorium.

The first of this year's Montgomery Fellows, Crow came to Dartmouth as part of a series of lectures and performances entitled "Making Movies, Making Music" that will continue over the next two years.

Discussing the origins of her music, Crow said she has drawn inspiration from a variety of sources, including poems by Walt Whitman, social and political conditions as well as events in her life and the lives of those around her.

A trip to Bosnia several years ago at the invitation of First Lady Hillary Clinton made a big impact on Crow's song writing and the way she sees the world, the artist said yesterday.

"I came home from that experience feeling like I had a lot to say," said Crow, introducing "Redemption Day," one of the songs she performed.

In particular, Crow said her experiences in Bosnia introduced her to the horrors of land mines. She recently returned from a trip to Cambodia as part of her involvement in campaigns against their use.

Explaining the meaning behind "No One Said It Would Be Easy," another song she performed, Crow said, "I think the great thing about the struggle is the struggle ... not the outcome but the things you learn along the way."

Students also had the chance to ask questions during yesterday's event. Questions covered a wide range of topics, from the wording of her lyrics to Crow's opinions on music videos and the images of pop icons such as Britney Spears and Cristina Aguillera.

Asked about the future of rock music, Crow said she thought the rebellious nature that characterized rock music in its youth is now more typical of the rap genre, but that modern rock and roll will continue be meaningful as it evolves.

When another student asked the singer about how she deals with the media, Crow said she learned the hard way the importance of taking time out for herself.

"A large part of everyone's life has to be filling up the well, not just giving everything away," she said.

One student also took the chance to invite Crow to join himself and a group of friends at Murphy's on the Green, a restaurant and pub on Main Street, eliciting laughter from the artist and the audience.

Crow, who was accompanied yesterday by Tim Smith, a musician who tours with her, is the winner of five Grammy Awards and has sold over 13 million albums.