Sex Yes, Nudity No

To the Editor:

I was pleased to see the 2/10 front page story by Julia Levy about the WRC Sex Series. Much of the article was right on. However, it contained a few significant inaccuracies which I wish to correct.

The posters advertising the series contain a photograph of author Inga Muscio, fully clothed. Her hands are folded in such a way as to replicate female sexual anatomy. The photograph does not contain "graphic nudity."

Also, Levy reports that Emilie Linick, a student quoted in the story, "attended a talk at Alpha Xi Delta by Munafo [me]", when in fact Emilie attended a talk at Rocky 3 by Inga Muscio. (Alpha Xi helped sponsor the event.)

Finally, while the story reports that the WRC received 8-10 messages of complaint about the way we promoted the program, we received only three responses which explicitly complained about the materials. Three others simply blitzed us "remove me from your list," which may or may not have been in direct response to the information in question -- people make this request often and for any number of reasons.

As Levy cited from an email I sent about Muscio's talk, our goal with the series is to encourage greater openness about and exploration of female sexuality. I believe that each person deserves to be the ruler of her/his own sexual universe, and I hope our work encourages more women, especially, to claim that right.