Sex series ads offend some students

Some students have expressed concern about graphic and explicit BlitzMail messages and Posters advertising events included in The Women's Resource Center's "Sex Series."

Shelley Sandell '01 asked the WRC to remove her from its Blitz list after she received a message from them that she considered "very crude."

The original message that Sandell received along with other students across campus contained a self description of Inga Muscio, the author of "Cunt: A Declaration of Independence."

Sandell also voiced the opinion of a number of community members whenshe called the poster advertising the month-long Sex Series "lewd." She said the posters around campus containing "graphic nudity" were, in her view, inappropriate.

Emilie Linick '00, one of the student coordinators of the series, said the photograph of Muscio -- which included a frontal portrayal of her vagina -- was the only photograph sent to the WRC before Muscio's visit to the College.

Linick said the people she works with in the WRC thought the photograph was an asset to the poster because it shows Muscio to be "young" and "kind of funky."

Muscio's recent book argues that every woman should be in charge of her own sexual universe.

But this typical feminist stance comes wrapped up in a package of rough terms that the WRC predicted could offend certain members of the community.

Muscio's book delves into the meaning of the word "cunt," which originated in China, Ireland, Italy and Egypt and was first used respectfully to describe women and women's power.

Sandell told The Dartmouth, "My concern was with their presentation of the material and not the subject matter. The way they advertised this speaker was offensive."

In response to Sandell's message to the original blitz, WRC Director Giavanna Munafo explained that Muscio suggests that women should reclaim the word "cunt," much in the same way that homosexuals have reclaimed the word "queer" as a term of self-affirmation, challenging negative connotations.

"The language Muscio uses to describe herself and her work is both purposefully shocking and carefully considered," Munafo wrote. "Because we are aware that some members of our community would not be comfortable with that language, we have tried to be intentional in the ways we have advertised her presentation."

Linick said the WRC received somewhere between eight and 10 Blitzes complaining about the advertisements.

She explained that in response, Munafo sent out another message that added a clarification of what Muscio intended to accomplish with her word usage.

The second message encouraged "ideas or feedback about this or any other WRC program."

According to Linick, who attended a talk Tuesday at Alpha Xi Delta sorority by Munafo, the audience was very receptive to her message.

"She had people crying, people laughing," Linick said.

Associate German professor Ulrike Rainer -- who is teaching Women Studies 10 this term -- had Muscio speak to her class, and said "the students actually very much enjoyed her."

She said the class conversation focused on an excerpt from Muscio's book that talked about how women feel restricted in society and act accordingly.

"There was absolutely no controversy," she said. She called it a "lively discussion."

Muscio's visit to Dartmouth was part of the WRC's "Sex Series" -- a month long event featuring speeches, discussions, videos and performances dealing with topics such as female anatomy, sexual abuse and sexuality.

According to a WRC blitz bulletin, the goal of the series is to "resist and counter culturally prevalent attitudes and behaviors that denigrate female sexuality and sexual-determination."

Events included in the series will continue until the end of February.