June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Princeton is first favorite to fall

Harvard 67, Cornell 57

Cornell men's basketball remained winless in the Ivy League, losing at Harvard on Friday night. The teams played a sloppy game as Cornell committed 17 turnovers and Harvard, 18.

Harvard went into the half leading 37-23, but played a tight next period.

Dan Clemente led the team with a game-high 24 points and Damian Long added 17 points and 11 rebounds.

Ray Mercedes had 15 points and six boards and Wallace Prather had 14 points for Cornell.

Princeton 76, Brown 60

Although decimated by injuries, Princeton shot at 60 percent from the floor, shooting nine-for-17 from three-point range to run away from the Brown Bears. Reserve Ray Robins led the charge for the Tigers with 23 points. Ahmed El-Nokali added 14.

The Tigers made 23-27 foul shots.

Brown stayed reasonably close early, but they were unable to keep up in the second half. Both teams were plagued by turnovers as Brown had 13 and Princeton, 14.

Earl Hunt led Brown with 24 points and Jesse Wood had 12

Penn 61, Yale 36

Penn continued its Ivy League dominance with a blowout victory over Yale -- their fifth straight win.

Penn enjoyed a balanced offensive attack as Oggie Kapetanovic had 12 points on six-for-nine shooting and Ugonna Onyekwe and Michael Jordan each scored 10.

Penn led from the start, pulling away after 15-4 and 14-2 runs midway through the first half and leading by as many as 32 points.Yale's leading scorer, Onaje Woodbine, scored 10 points on four-for-18 shooting.

Pennsylvania 83 Brown 48

Penn handed Brown by far its worst defeat of the season on Saturday in Providence, displaying a very efficient offense with 17 assists on 26 scores.

Matt Langel had 24 points for the Quakers, who outscored Brown 41-21 in the first half before pouring it on further in the second stanza.

Earl Hunt led Brown with 13 points, and Josh Meyer had 10 points and six rebounds for the Bears.

Columbia 71, Harvard 65

Columbia pulled off a mini-upset when it beat Harvard in Cambridge. The Lions trailed 33-30 at the half, but rallied in the second half behind 15 points from Treg Duerksen.

Leading scorer Craig Austin scored 14 for the Lions, and Mike McBrien had 11 points, five rebounds and a team-high seven assists.

Harvard fell prey to poor team shooting, even though two of its players had excellent offensive performances.

Dan Clemente had 24 points and nine rebounds and Damian Long scored 20 points. Elliott Prasse-Freeman had a game-high eight assists.

Yale 44, Princeton 42

The Yale Bulldogs pulled off a surprise victory over Princeton one night after being embarrassed by Penn.

The game was a see-saw battle throughout the second half with neither team gaining a decisive lead.

The Tigers were led by Chris Young's 17 points and 10 rebounds. Ray Robins also added 11 points and five rebounds of his own.

Princeton's major failure in this game was its inability to hit threes. They connected on only two of 16.

Chris Leanza paced Yale with 13 points, six assists and five boards. Onaje Woodbine chipped in with 10 points and seven rebounds.