Price reductions have limited effect

The College's decision to lower prices for Hopkins performances and make sporting events free for Dartmouth students has not increased attendance as much as expected, according to Hopkins Center Director Lewis Crickard and Director of Athletics Richard Jaeger.

At Hopkins Center performances, attendance has increased by an estimated 10 to 15 percent for popular events but only by marginal or unnoticeable levels for less popular events, Crickard said.

According to Jaeger, attendance at athletic events has experienced a noticeable increase but nothing drastic.

"We haven't seen any big influx yet. When I look over to the student section, there are always empty seats," he said.

Jaeger said performance of the teams has something to do with attendance, but added that more team spirit can only have a positive effect.

Both the Hop and the athletics department are currently in the process of collecting exact data on attendance levels, which will probably become available by the end of the term.

The College is subsidizing the revenue lost by ticket sales through a contract with the Coca-Cola Company, which allows it to act as the exclusive distributor of soft drinks in vending machines and dining halls on campus.

Coca-Cola paid the College $200,000 for certain distribution and pouring rights, which will last one more year before being modified.

Even though prospects for the contract are unclear, Dean of the College James Larimore said he was confident that the subsidized tickets will continue "into the future."

Despite the lack of overwhelming response, both Crickard and Jaeger expressed approval for the decision to make events more accessible to students.

"I think it's great," Jaeger said. "Anything we can do to get students to come out for the games is good."

According to Larimore, prior to the price-cut many students had voiced their concerns over cost barriers to attending events, adding that he expressed consent for the decision because it is "a wonderful opportunity for students."