June 17, 2024 | Latest Issue

Penn, Princeton keep winning

Princeton 79, Cornell 43

Princeton defended its home turf with an all-out rout of the Big Red. Cornell had two players in double figures, Ray Mercedes with 10 points and Wallace Prather with 11, but its next highest scorer had only eight points.

The team shot a meager 29 percent from the floor and shot only six free throws for the game.

Princeton's Spencer Gloger played exceptionally, with 21 points on six-of-nine shooting, including five of seven from three-point land.

Princeton also had solid contributions from Ray Robins with 14 points and Chris Young with 10 points and seven rebounds. Princeton shot very well from the field, hitting at a 55.4 percent clip, and they had 12 steals.

Harvard 70, Yale 51

Harvard defeated Yale convincingly with a big second half in which they outscored the Bulldogs 43 to 27. The score at halftime was only 27-24 in favor of the Crimson.

Chris Leanza had 10 points and four rebounds for the Bulldogs. He was the only scorer in double figures for Yale. The team also struggled from the line, hitting only 15 of 26 free throws.

For the game, Harvard had 21 assists to Yale's 10. Dan Clemente scored a game-high 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the Crimson.

Damnian Long also chipped in with 18 points and Sam Winter had 17 and six boards. Finally, point guard Elliott Prasse-Freeman had six points, seven rebounds, and an impressive 15 assists.

Penn 81, Columbia 58

The game was never close, as Penn outscored Columbia 35-20 in the first half and poured it on in the second half.

Columbia was led by Treg Duerksen's 18 points, but had only 22 rebounds to Penn's 36.

In addition, Penn had 23 assists on 31 field goals, while Columbia had only 12.

Michael Jordan had 13 points and six assists for the Quakers, and Ugonna Onyekwe had 15 points as well to help out Penn's offensive attack.

A major disparity in this game lay in the two teams' shooting percentages: Columbia shot only 34 percent from the floor, while Penn shot a sizzling 54 percent.

Penn 73, Cornell 63

Penn pulled out a tough win against Cornell this weekend by virtue of its 39-30 rebounding edge and the play of Michael Jordan, who had 21 points, nine assists and three rebounds.

Matt Langel also scored 14 points and had 11 rebounds. Rounding out the Quaker's attack was Geoff Owens, who had a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.

Penn shot 46 percent to the Big Red's 38 percent. Ugonna Onyekwe once again had a big defensive stand in this game with four blocked shots.

Neither team shot well from behind the arc, especially Penn, which made only four of 19 three-point field goals.

The second half was very close, with Penn outscoring Cornell by only a point. The key was that Penn went into the locker room with a 30-21 halftime lead, which they would sustain throughout the game.

Princeton 81, Columbia 52

A night after losing to Penn, Columbia was handed a similarly tough loss agasint Princeton.

Spencer Gloger led all scorers with 22 points on six-of-11. Princeton had a well-balanced attack with four players in double figures, including C.J. Chapman with 15, Chris Young with 15 and seven rebounds and Ahmed El-nokali with 11 points and five assists.

Columbia shot terribly from the free throw line, hitting only eight of 17. For the game, Columbia shot 44 percent from the floor, but Princeton hit for 51 percent.

Harvard 70, Brown 63

Brown suffered a tough defeat in Cambridge on Saturday. Alai Nuualiitia had 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Bears, and Jesse Wood had 21 points and six boards.

Brown's demise rested in its inability to hit outside shots, culminating in a 39 percent field goal percentage. However, it did have more rebounds than Harvard (38 to 32).

The key for Harvard was that it hit 10 of 24 three-pointers, including four for eight from Damian Long and three for eight from Dan Clemente.

Clemente also led the Crimson with 22 points, and he collared seven rebounds. Long had 16 points.

Turnovers plagued the Bears, and they had 19 critical miscues in this game, leading to 12 steals for Harvard. Brown rallied in the second half to make this game close, but Harvard held them off in the end, thanks to a 38-24 halftime lead.