Hollywood rookies compete for Best Director trophy

Each year, the nominees for the Best Director Oscar differ slightly from those for Best Picture. While it is difficult to separate the contribution of the director from the overall quality of the film, the motivation for this year's exception is obvious.

In addition to four of the Best Picture nominees: "American Beauty," "The Cider House Rules," "The Sixth Sense" and "The Insider," the Academy has chosen to honor first time director Spike Jonze for his "Being John Malkovich."

Why did Jonze receive the honor over Frank Darabont, of the Best Picture nominee "The Green Mile?" Well, Best Director tends to be a category where Academy voters acclaim artistry and edginess over feel-good appeal. Jonze's brilliant work on "Malkovich" certainly qualifies.

Still, an honor though it might be, a nomination for Best Director without one for Best Picture usually has little chance at the golden statuette.

Lasse Hallstrm, nominated for "The Cider House Rules," is an accomplished and respected director. He has received numerous accolades for his films, including 1985's Swedish "My Life As A Dog" and 1993's "What's Eating Gilbert Grape."

"Cider House" is another tender exploration of what it means to be a man, beautifully shot in locations all over New England. It is a wonderful film with excellent word of mouth, and it's backed by Oscar powerhouse Miramax, but its direction lacks the kind of obvious technical knowledge or clear originality that the Academy looks for in this category.

Michael Mann's first Oscar nomination is one that is long in coming. Responsible for such treasures as "Last of the Mohicans" and "Heat," Mann is a director of consummate skill and considerable passion.

He brought both these attributes to "Insider." Mann's first true "prestige" project is a study in tension and mood, and with Al Pacino and Russell Crowe holding down the acting front, it's clear why "Insider" ended up being nominated in as many categories as it did.

Still, it won't win this one. Industry insiders (no pun intended) still associate Mann with lowbrow fare like "Miami Vice," which he exec produced for years. And again, while a great movie, most will not be able to see the directorial contribution as obviously as in other candidates like "American Beauty."

In the case of "The Insider," much credit belongs to the writers and the incredibly compelling original material. These factors, in addition to the lack of buzz surrounding the film, will mean a disappointment for Mann in his first run at the Best Director Oscar.

While "The Sixth Sense" was not his first feature, M. Night Shyamalan burst onto the scene this year with the Bruce Willis thriller. Shyamalan took on duties of both writer and director for "Sixth Sense." His first major film is the second-highest grossing movie of 1999 and one of its most honored.

This movie is indubitably Shyamalan's creation, a slick update of the traditional horror film with its scares provoked more by thought than gore.

Still, commercial success can be an impediment to Academy honors. The Best Director category is reserved for honoring true creativity in an industry incredibly focused on the bottom line. "The Sixth Sense" is an excellent film, redefining its genre, but the fact that so many recognized its quality makes it seem less artistic.

This may be undeserved, but it is always difficult to reconcile a blockbuster with artistic merit. The Academy will feel that it has gone far enough with a nomination and leave the Oscar for a director who they feel is more deserving.

29-year-old Sam Mendes is another first-time director with a nomination in this contest, his being for "American Beauty," the most nominated film this year. In this contest, despite his rookie status, Mendes is the favorite.

"Beauty" provides the one-two punch of having both critical and popular success. The film features prestigious actors, major buzz and camerawork that can be recognized as artistry by even the least knowledgeable audience member. This is a director that the Academy can honor and feel good about it.

Lately, "Beauty" has suffered from shoo-in buzz, a factor that may have played a role in "Saving Private Ryan's" Best Picture defeat of last year. While Spielberg won that Best Director trophy, Mendes is no Spielberg.

DreamWorks put out both "Ryan" and "Beauty," however, and you can be sure their marketing machine won't let the buzz slide here. It's a movie with almost universal appeal.

If DreamWorks can do a convincing job of reminding voters that Sam Mendes deserves the Oscar for more reasons than his inevitability, shoo-in status should become big win reality.