Alcohol dominates 'fireside chat'

Alcohol-related concerns, including student attitudes, the role of the Coed Fraternity and Sorority system and alcohol education efforts, dominated last night's fireside chat in Collis Common ground.

Approximately 35 students attended the fourth weekly discussion on the Steering Committee recommendations moderated by Dean of the College James Larimore , Provost Susan Prager and Trustee Nancy Kepes-Jeton '76.

Students suggested several specific proposals during the course of the evening including alcohol education programs.

Several students said education about alcohol consumption and college policies regarding drinking is critical during freshman orientation week, when students are first experiencing the independence that comes with college life.

Currently, only CFS affiliated students are required to go through an alcohol education program, a situation many students present at the discussion criticized.

"I really think that students need to jump in the pool, do their 50 meters, and go to alcohol training right away," Student Response Task Force member Kate Laswell '02 said, referring to the swim test many freshman take immediately after arriving on campus.

Others present emphasized the importance of an education program that students find credible, suggesting a program in which peers educate others by relating their personal experiences and what they learned from them.

Several participants also thought it would be a good idea to make it less "daunting" to summon help from Dick's House for someone who has consumed too much alcohol.

The process could become more comfortable if students learn about it during orientation week and also if they have a chance to get to know the Safety and Security officers who will be providing assistance, one student said.

In regards to the steering committee proposals, many students questioned the impact that limiting the availability of alcohol in CFS organizations would have.

Some suggested that alcohol problems do not have their source in the CFS social system but rather are the result of overall cultural attitudes toward the consumption of alcohol.

Benita Perch '01, vice-president of the CFSC and an international student from South Africa, said she found the "zeal for alcohol" at Dartmouth a strange phenomenon upon her arrival on campus freshman year.

Others echoed her opinion, suggesting that the American attitude towards the consumption of alcohol is not found in other cultures.

"We create an all or nothing environment that is ... very, very destructive," CFSC President Eric Etu '01 said.

Several participants expressed concern that students prevented from consuming alcohol in CFS houses will end up do so in more private and unregulated environments.

Affiliated students repeatedly pointed out that much problem drinking occurs at "room parties," where many students drink hard liquor. As well, they said many students arrive at CFS parties already intoxicated.

CFS parties are in fact a safer and more supportive social atmosphere, Laura Burt '02, said, relating an experience from her freshman year in which her roommate needed medical attention after a room party, not a CFS party.

Some affiliated students also said that CFS life and drinking are not one and the same, indicating their interest in the friendships and feeling of belonging that membership in a CFS organization offer rather than the alcohol.

"I'm not in a fraternity as a drinking club." Chris Hummell '01 said, adding that he was willing to see alcohol banned from CFS houses in exchange for their continued existence.

Strict regulations preventing student drinking might even be contrary to the goal of promoting personal growth, some students suggested.

Upper-class students said they drank less with each year at Dartmouth and suggested that the opportunity to learn from one's mistakes is a critical aspect of the college experience that cannot be replaced.

Throughout the course of the discussion, Larimore, Prager, and Kepes-Jeton emphasized both their desire to get student input and the importance of "constructive ideas" as opposed to criticism.

There will be another discussion session next Monday at 7 p.m. in Collis Commonground.

-- updated 02/01/00 8:16 a.m.