Slide continues with loss to UVM

The freefall continues.

Last night at Leede Arena Dartmouth men's basketball lost its seventh straight game to the University of Vermont, 85-66. The Big Green played the Catamounts almost evenly in the first half, but faded as a 31-17 run over the first 10 minutes of the second half gave Vermont a commanding lead.

Dartmouth Head Coach Dave Faucher cited the first four minutes of the second half in particular for causing the Green's demise

"We just became unglued," Faucher said following the game. "The ball was all over the gym, rebounds were being taken out of our hands."

Thanks to 15 points from captain Shaun Gee '00 and five team three-pointers in the first half, Dartmouth trailed UVM 40-37 at the end of the opening period.

But the Catamounts came out smoking in the next frame and quickly opened up a larger lead.

"Once that lead got to eight, our guys did not play basketball," Faucher said. "They looked at the scoreboard."

What the players saw was a rapidly expanding Vermont lead that the Green could not come back from.

Dartmouth suffered through another mediocre shooting night -- particularly when their shots stopped falling in the second half -- on the way to a 40 percent success rate.

One exception was Gee, who despite leaving the game for good with eight minutes remaining because of a knee injury, scored a game-high 26 points on eight-of-13 shooting.

Shooting guard Greg Buth '01 was Dartmouth's only other double-digit scorer with 12 points. Center Ian McGinnis '01 had 10 rebounds.

UVM's star guard Tony Orciari led the Catamounts with 20 points. Point guard David Roach had 12 points and four assists, but more importantly kept Flinder Boyd '02 in check.