Police investigate alleged armed man

On Tuesday at approximately 9 p.m. the Hanover Police Department was contacted with a report of an unidentified man carrying a gun, allegedly spotted near Kiewit Computer Center, Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone said yesterday.

"The report indicated that the suspect was carrying a rifle," Giaccone said.

Two Hanover police officers were sent to investigate the area around Kiewit in response to the report, Giaccone said. "Nothing was found, and we plan no further investigation of this matter."

The Police Department would not release the identity of the person who filed the report, or reveal whether that person was a student. Nor would they disclose information about which officers received the call or which officers investigated this rumor.

Safety and Security had no knowledge of the gunman or even that such a report was made last night, Safety and Security Sergeant Rebel Roberts said. However, Roberts said there was an officer in the area around that time who would have been able to quickly respond should the need have arisen.

"We have a good working relationship with the Hanover Police Department," Roberts said. "We try to work closely with the town police and anything that they feel we need to be involved in is usually opened up to our participation."