Faculty response to Initiative report varies

Faculty member response to the steering committee recommendation report varied widely yesterday, in the wake of the report's release.

"There are probably as many reactions among the faculty as among the students," Assistant Dean of the Faculty Jane Carroll said.

Of the professors who talked to The Dartmouth yesterday, most expressed reservations about certain aspects of the report, but on average, the faculty attitude was one of reserved endorsement.

Although many faculty members were willing to share their view on the report, some were reluctant to comment. Some said they felt it was premature to offer judgement, while others said they had not yet had a chance to give full consideration to the 50-page document.

Chair of the English department William Cook called the proposals "a pretty workable compromise of positions," while history professor Jere Daniel and French and Italian department Chair John Rassias both expressed their enthusiastic support for the committee's recommendations.

"I'm in favor of what is being proposed," Rassias said.

Faculty members gave almost universal support to several of the recommendations, including the commitment of substantial funds to the improvement of the College community and the transformation of the existing dormitory system.

Lee Witters, a professor of medicine and biochemistry, voiced his concern that the Coed Fraternity Sorority system will lose its acknowledged place as the main social venue on campus before the cluster system is ready to replace it, leaving a void in campus life.

Some faculty members indicated that they had hoped the committee would adopt stronger positions on several issues, especially the CFS.

"I'm generally supportive of the proposals, though there are some proposals that didn't go as far as I personally would have wanted them to go," religion professor Susan Ackerman said.

Ackerman, who has previously spoken out against the CFS system, said she would have liked to see the elimination of the Greek houses.

English professor Thomas Luxon and Physics professor Leo Spitzer also expressed frustration with the CFS-related proposals, specifically with the continuation of the single-sex organizations.

"Overall, the report has disappointed a lot of faculty who wanted to see sweeping alterations or the abolition of the CFS system," Government Professor Linda Fowler said.

Another major portion of the report that received wide-spread approval were the new guidelines proposed for limiting alcohol and other drugs.

However, several faculty members dismissed the proposal advocating Thursday exams, "generally more demanding course requirements" and the scheduling of popular courses early in the morning.

When The Dartmouth asked them about this aspect of report in telephone interviews, two faculty members burst out laughing and said changing the timing of classes and exams was not the solution Dartmouth needs.

A general faculty meeting on January 24 will offer faculty members a chance to discuss the proposals in Monday's report, although it will not dominate the agenda.

In addition, there will be two meetings of the Arts and Sciences faculty later in the term. The second meeting of the term was added to create additional time for discussion of the Student Life Initiative.

Each standing faculty committee will also evaluate the proposals in the steering committee report that affect its area of responsibility.