Sailing wins Urn Trophy again

In a weekend full of Dartmouth athletic action, the sailing team was not to be left out.

In fact, the sailing team took to the waters of Boston and came home with some serious hardware.

At Harvard, the Big Green took the Victorian Coffee Urn Trophy for the third year in a row. The A Team, consisting of Erin Maxwell '01 and Meaghan Gragg '02, tied for the lead of the A division with MIT at 41 points. Meanwhile, the B Team of Lucy Keppel '02 and Liza Cowen '00 finished in the B division with 82 points. The total of 122 points gave the Green a first-place finish out of 14 teams.

Second-place host Harvard finished with 148. This was two-time All-American Maxwell's third win at this same regatta, each time with different teammates.

Maxwell excelled in the competition despite spending the first half of the sailing season away from the Dartmouth team. The junior has been training for the Olympic trials in Florida, but will compete in the next three weeks of action -- the New England Dinghy, the National Singlehanded and the Atlantic Coast Championships.

Across Cambridge over at MIT, the Coed Varsity team finished third in the race for The Schell Trophy. The boat of Patrick Hogan '01 and Erin Myers '00 took second-place in the B division with 60 points, trailing by only 3 points to Harvard.

The two-boat total of 178 was good for third, behind the Crimson and host MIT.

All-American Katie Lyndon '01 was definitely pleased with the team's performance as it heads into its most important competition of the fall.

"The regatta this weekend was good practice for the co-ed Atlantic Coast Championships which will be held at the same site (MIT) in two weeks," Lyndon said. "The B division's Patrick Hogan and Erin Myers sailed great, securing a third place overall finish for the co-ed team and nearly winning their division as well."

The sailing team can also look ahead to a great future in the coming years here at Dartmouth. At the Nickerson Trophy [the freshman fall New England championships] hosted by URI, freshmen John Diskant, Lindsey Reardon, Thalia Pascalides, Jacki Buros and Rob Neill took fifth place.

The '03's qualified their first-year team for the Atlantic Coast Championships at the University of New Hampshire on November 14th and 15th.

The team is now gearing up for some important races in the next few weeks. Both the Women's and Co-Ed Atlantic Coast Championships will be held two weekends from now, at Hobart and MIT respectively.