Twenty complete Moosilauke hike

Blisters and bruises, hunger and hallucinations didn't stop 20 of the 24 official hikers from completing the annual 53-mile walk from Hanover to Mount Moosilauke on Saturday.

Fervent enthusiasm pervaded Robinson Hall last Friday afternoon, where the zealous participants gathered for the start of their hike, and organizers called the trek "an absolute success."

"I've been meaning to do this hike for four years now," said hiker Case Dorkey '99, who is in his fifth year at the College. "It was finally special to get the chance."

The hike has become increasingly popular in the past few years. As in years past, a combination of DOC and trail regulations limited the group to only 25 hikers, who were selected by lottery last week. Some students chose to make the trek "unofficially, " meaning that they had not registered with the DOC.

However, the distinction has meant little to some hikers. The chief difference is that instead of dining on the DOC-provided chocolate and banana pancakes, the "unofficials" must make do with their own cold bagels and blocks of cheese.

Official hikers were relieved to be greeted with hot food, warm fires, and friendly encouragement at the volunteer-staffed rest stops, placed at 10 mile intervals.

Despite the efforts of volunteers, however, some hikers experienced exhaustion and delirium.

"I was sleepwalking," Ben Weaver '03 said. "When I took my socks off, my feet looked like albino prunes."

Hallucinations aside, this year's hike was nearly perfect in terms of safety, said Jon Waldman '00, one of the hike's organizers.

With the exception of a non-Dartmouth student who had to be evacuated from Mount Moosilauke by an emergency rescue team on and aided by 14 rest stop volunteers on Saturday, the journey ran smoothly.

Although proud of their accomplishment, no illusions of glory clouded the wearied minds of the hikers.

"I'll remember the beautiful scenery and the camaraderie. I'm really glad I did it... but I wouldn't do it again," O'Farell said.

One time is certainly enough for some. The route from Hanover to the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge includes the hills of Velvet Rocks, the 1,000 foot climb to Holt's Ledge and the ascent of Smarts, Cube, Moose, Mist and Atwell mountains.

Waldman, who has just completed his third trek to Mt. Moosilauke, has faith in the eternally alluring call of the wild.

"I think a lot of people are psyched to do it again next year," he said. Indeed, the annual Moosilauke Trailwalk has become an increasingly popular Dartmouth tradition since it began in October of 1967.