Monk is optimistic about future of Tibet

Speaking to an overcapacity crowd of Dartmouth community members in Three Rockefeller Center, Tibetan monk and ex-political prisoner Palden Gyatso chronicled the 33 years he spent in Chinese captivity and proceeded to voice his optimism for a peaceful future relationship between China and Tibet.

Assisted by his translator, Thupten Tashi, Gyatso's presentation stressed the importance of nonviolent action as he urged individuals and organizations to take action to improve human rights conditions in Tibet and elsewhere.

Gyatso's confidence in a solution to the Tibet-China conflict ascribed great importance to young people everywhere. Turning to the audience he said, "It is in the hands of the youngsters of the present day that we will have peace in the world ... Education is good if you use it [for positive uses] ... I hope your education will be useful to people."

Imprisoned in 1959 by the newly-established Chinese regime for taking part in a demonstration advocating Tibet's independence from China, Gyatso was held in various makeshift prisons in Tibet by Chinese captors.

In 1992, after years spent being forced to perform difficult manual labor and subjected to various forms of torture, Gyatso was freed by Chinese authorities due to pressure from Amnesty International.

Immediately following his release, Gyatso fled to India, smuggling several torture implements with him. Holding up handcuffs and electric prods, Gyatso induced sharp intakes of breath from the audience as he recalled experiences of torture by prison guards.

Despite these gruesome recollections, however, Gyatso maintained a "no grudges" attitude toward his captors, explaining that they too were subject to possible torture if they disobeyed their superiors. Expounding a doctrine held by the Dalai Lama, Gyatso stated, "...the past is past. Everyone needs peace."

In response to a question, Gyatso explained he was able to maintain his courage and clarity of vision throughout the duration of his imprisonment by remaining true to his spirituality and training as a Buddhist monk.

Gyatso ended his presentation with the words, "Tonight, I spoke about the situation in Tibet, but there are many other countries with the same problems."

Nima Taylor '00, a co-head of Students for a Free Tibet at Dartmouth, said of the speech, "Awareness is the first step to a nonviolent solution," and said a rally will be held at 6:30 tonight in front of Rollins Chapel.