Memorial held for Jenica Rosekrans '00

Students, teachers, and administrators gathered at Rollins Chapel last night to remember and celebrate the life of Jenica Ann Rosekrans '00, who died in June of bacterial meningitis at the age of 21.

Rosekrans's sudden death last spring shocked the Dartmouth community and those who knew her shared personal stories of their time with her.

Interim College Chaplain Rev. Gwendolyn S. King began the service welcoming those in attendance and explaining that the purpose of the service was to rejoice in the life of Jenica.

"Jenica had an inner beauty in her soul that radiated love," King said.

Despite the celebratory nature of the memorial, many could not contain their tears as friends and classmates in remembrance of Rosekrans, who was known to her Delta Delta Delta sorority sisters as "our biggest cheerleader."

College President James Wright expressed regret over not having known Jenica personally but emphasized the importance of the service.

"We wish with all of our hearts that we were not here for this purpose," he said. "But given that we are here, we cannot imagine not being here."

Kathleen A. Alexander, Rosekrans's mother, spoke of her daughter's first visit to Dartmouth and her immediate love of the school. According to Alexander, Rosekrans remained devoted to Dartmouth throughout college career and last spring, was saddened by the prospect that she was nearing her last year at the college.

Friends and acquaintances of Rosekrans expressed their love for her through speeches, poems, and songs. Members of Tri-Delt took turns reading a letter they had written to Rosekrans after her death, expressing their gratitude for having known her and their sadness for having lost such a good friend.

The service also included readings of selections from several contemporary works as well as moments of wordless reflection, with candles being lit in honor of the deceased while "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber played in the background.

A tree adorned with purple bow outside Rollins Chapel has been designated as a place where mourners may leave cards, flowers, and other tokens of remembrance. These will later be sent to Rosekrans' family in California.