Greeks adopt 'wait- and-see' attitude

Fraternities and sororities across campus have essentially adopted a "wait-and-see" attitude concerning the forthcoming decision on social space by the Trustees' Steering Committee.

The impending decision has some worried about the place of the Greek system in Dartmouth's future. Most seem to expect changes, and many are hopeful that Greeks will remain a part of campus life.

The general consensus among the fraternity and sorority presidents that spoke with The Dartmouth is that they have reached a point where is not much more they can do except wait for the proposals of the Steering Committee which are scheduled to be released in November.

"We're not really doing anything actively because I don't think we can until we find out what [the Steering Committee's] positions are," said Beatrice Radakovich '00, president of Sigma Delta sorority.

Some Greek members have continued communicating with their respective alumni networks.

"Our national fraternity and our active alums have been corresponding with [President James] Wright and sending letters to Trustees all along," Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity President Andy Louis '00 said.

Other presidents cited the strong rush this year as evidence that the students are in favor of the Greek system.

"I didn't really get any questions like 'are you worried?' from girls that were rushing. They just seemed glad to be there," said Caroline Fayard '00, who is president of Delta Delta Delta sorority.

Fayard also expressed her concern that the sororities were not able to give bids to all of the women who rushed houses.

"If anything, we're more frustrated that we couldn't have that seventh house," she said.

Earlier this year, former Acting Dean of the College Dan Nelson turned down the Panhellenic Council's request for a seventh sorority to accommodate the number of interested women.

"If you can't fit everyone in the door, it becomes exclusive. These women deserve to have their space, and if we had had a little bit of cooperation from the administration, we could have provided them with one," Fayard said.

Fraternity rush was as strong as sorority rush this year, discounting any previous assumptions that the potential for changes in the Greek system would decrease interest.

"I'm very optimistic " we just got through with rush. A ton of guys were interested in rush. Right now my feelings are good for the Greek system. I'm also hopeful that the positive image that we've tried to put forth has made an impact," Psi Upsilon President Teddy Rice '00 said.

The widespread opinion seems to be positive but relatively tentative. Most are hopeful for the future of fraternities and sororities in anticipation of the Steering Committee's decision.

"Well, I think it's naive to say that there won't be changes, but I can certainly say that I'm feeling far more optimistic than I was last winter or even last spring. There's a growing sense of optimism throughout the student body," Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity President Thad Glowacki '00 said.

"Everyone is still definitely together on this issue. I know that there is no one that has given up. Just look at the effort that everyone has given during rush " it's not an effort you would make if you didn't care," Rice said.