Centerbrook unveils proposals

Underground tunnels, a "tiki bar" and a Cinedrome could become a part of Dartmouth's social scene, according to plans proposed yesterday by Centerbrook Architects.

Centerbrook architect Chad Floyd presented four "proof of space" drawings that showed how ideas collected from community members over the summer could be integrated into new social and dining space options.

Ideas included in the four plans included rooms for social and performance events -- including a replacement for Webster Hall -- cafes, grills, a "satellite" branch of the Dartmouth Co-op, a bowling alley, a "tiki bar" dining facility, and a Cinedrome, a venue for parties and performances that is centered around a circular screen projecting movies or music video clips.

Floyd stressed that the drawings presented during the workshop at Tindle Lounge in Thayer Dining Hall were works open to feedback, and not architectural plans. He said the drawings are the next step following workshops with the community, focus groups and surveys to gather opinions on what should be included in dining, social, recreational and athletic spaces.

Two of the four plans link Thayer, Robinson Hall and Collis Student Center with either underground or above-ground construction.

The first keeps the road between Thayer and Collis open and links the three buildings through a bridge over that road.

The front of Thayer would be converted into a three-story space. Included in the space where Thayer is now are plans for a possible caf, bar and a "marketplace" style dining hall.

Behind Thayer, in what is now the loading area, could be the site for the Webster replacement.

Robinson Hall would be expanded and "opened up" inside, Floyd said. It would house student organizations' offices as well as a coffee shop.

In Collis, the Collis Caf would be expanded into a "food court" dining facility.

Upstairs, on the bridge above the road and in Robinson, would be spaces for smaller student organizations to meet and store supplies, as well as study rooms and the radio station.

A theme of all the designs was making Robinson more of an open, welcoming space, and one that would be linked to other buildings to encourage students not already in an organization housed there to use the building more.

This design included the idea of building spaces underground. This basement area would included possibly a bowling alley, billiards and a pub.

Another plan featured closing the road between Thayer, Collis and Robinson and building over it. Spaces for dining and meeting places in this plan, as opposed to the first plan, are very similar.

The additional space provided by building over the road makes this plan able to house more innovations students suggested, including a dance studio, small fitness center and an art gallery.

A controversial aspect of this plan, more than others, is the possible relocation of the Dartmouth Outing Club from its current location in Robinson Hall to a possible new recreation facility by the Alumni Gymnasium.

While Floyd said currently all the plans place the DOC in the new recreation complex. The plan to close the road would necessitate the move since vans would no longer be able to load by Robinson Hall.

Floyd said building over the road means significant advantages, including bringing "tremendous vitality and communality" to spaces for student organizations and offices, as all the buildings will essentially be one.

This plan would feature an entrance that faces Massachusetts Row and is on the axis with the Rockefeller Center.

Another plan involves building a long, narrow structure behind the Mass Row dorms where Fairbanks Hall and parking lot are currently located.

The building would be visible from the Green, Floyd said, and would feature two entrances and a linear arrangement of student organizations' offices, dining areas, and a convenience store.

The fourth plan, no longer under consideration now, was the renovation of solely Thayer Dining Hall, Floyd said.

Floyd stressed that all elements in the plans are for the most part interchangeable and that architectural plans have not been considered yet.

Also presented were the results of a web-based survey of graduate and undergraduate students on social and dining spaces. These were used to draw up the list of features included in the plans presented by Floyd.

Students wanted a convenience store, pub, food court with various dining options, cyber-cafe or coffeehouse to be on campus. They also mentioned a newsstand and an ATM.

The survey found Dartmouth students wanted their meal plans to be usable anywhere on campus and off, and that more variety be provided during the weekends.

Floyd said there was an overwhelming preference for centralized dining options and that at Dartmouth centralized dining is "a cultural phenomenon."

Students also want more healthy dining options and graduate students want their own dining facility or meeting place.

Questions and comments addressed the relationship between Dartmouth students and the environment and the need to factor that history into the buildings' plans.

Centerbrook will be presenting plans for recreational and athletic facilities and the results of surveys on the subject at a workshop today in Tindle Lounge at 4 p.m..