Alumni Do Not Care What Happens to Greek Houses

Liam Kuhn is sadly mistaken when he writes that most alums come back to Dartmouth on Homecoming to visit their Greek houses and to celebrate the loyalty and bonds that they developed there. Personally, most alums that even set foot in Greek houses are those that are three or four years out and less. While I am not disagreeing that there is some nostalgia involved, in his pledge term euphoria, I believe Mr. Kuhn is under a false impression about what Greek houses mean to alumni. I was not in a Greek house but I work with a '93 and '94 that both were. They have both admitted to me that while they enjoyed fraternity life at Dartmouth, now they really could care less about what happens to the system. They feel that about 25% of the people in their classes are adamant against change, but that the rest have little concern about what happens to their houses. I also have roomates and friends from my class that will visit and even stay in their sororities over Homecoming, but returning to their sorority is certainly not their main resaon for coming back to campus. Finally, many of the houses have changed so much in recent years that alums would not be able to even recognize them as the places they were a part of years ago.

On another note I find it odd that Mr. Kuhn believes that the '03s have not been at Dartmouth long enough to really call it home, but he has been in his fraternity even less and has the right to refer to it as his home. While I don't deny that for him his experience is and will be wonderful in his house, I hope after he graduates he has much more at Dartmouth that he wants to come back to besides his fraternity. Coming back to Dartmouth is coming back to a place where one spent four formative years making friendships, growing intellectually, crying, laughing, playing, praying, hoping it would never end, and thinking you couldn't spend another day in Hanover. Please Mr. Kuhn, don't generalize about this experience, and please don't use this generalization as a reason for keeping the Greek system.