Few '99s follow Five Principle debate

Upon breaking news of the Board of Trustees' Social and Residential Life Initiative, throngs of students, including hundreds of members of the Class of 1999, protested its possible implications for the College's fraternities and sororities.

But since their class graduated in June, most members of the newest alumni class say they have been too consumed with the hustle and bustle of the real world to keep up with the ongoing progress of the Initiative.

What was once such an explosive issue for many, has been quickly pushed aside by many recent graduates. Although almost every '99 interviewed by The Dartmouth said they were interested to find out what is happening, they had little time to get involved.

Frederic Corwin '99, who moved to Boston after graduation said that he has yet to receive much news about the Initiative. His only Dartmouth contacts are fellow alumni, Corwin said. "Post-Dartmouth life" takes up too much of his time.

Several '99s expressed a desire for the College to do more to keep the newest alumni involved, and feel in the dark, even though they graduated less than four months ago.

Amy Foust '99, a former member of Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority said the College has done nothing to keep her class informed with the status of the initiative.

"I don't think the College ever kept the alumni involved," Foust said. "If my sorority of 120 women can write and tell me what is going on, then I think the College could do the same."

Foust said she was involved with several of the discussions that were happening on campus before she left, but was never a part of any activism on campus. In facilitating the working groups, Foust was especially interested in discussing the "meaning of coeducation" and the housing plans.

Foust said she thinks everyone understands more dorms are necessary, but said the meaning behind the initiative was what seemed controversial. "I think it is impossible to be against the initiative as it was presented."

Some alumni, despite the current lack of information, wish to know more, and intend to find out more in the near future. Ian Campbell '99 said that President Wright was coming to California soon and that he and other alumni hoped to receive information from him.

Several members of the class contacted by The Dartmouth said even though they were not following events, they now believed that change would be good for the Dartmouth social system.

"It's interesting. When I left, I didn't want to see my sorority end, but at the same time I thought something had to change," Michele Carlucci '99 said, who also said that she hadn't kept herself informed with the current status of the initiative on the account of law school.

"Change could be good for Dartmouth," Emily Atkinson '99 said, but believed it would be better for those students who are on campus to lead this effort rather than the alumni, and therefore was not keeping herself informed.

Jennifer Parkinson '99 was almost alone among her classmates in being up to date with the current status of the Initiative. Former president of Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority and co-chair of the Principle three working group, Parkinson wants to follow the situation closely, but is not surprised that her classmates are not doing the same.

"I don't believe people will pay attention until real announcements are made, and then you better believe people will pay attention," Parkinson said.