'Beakman' finds fun in science

Since 1978, Paul Zaloom has toured the world, playing in such venues as the Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, the Edinburgh Festival and King Tut's Wah-Wah Hut. Tonight he plays the college Hopkins Center.

Paul Zaloom will perform "Beakman Live," a funny, educational show of experiments and antics which demonstrate the laws of science. There will be numerous opportunities during the show for the audience to participate, so the shy and introverted would best find seats in the back of the theatre.

Zaloom specializes in the science of the seemingly impossible. For example, he usually picks the strongest person in the audience and prevents that person from getting out of a chair just by using his index finger. There will also be plenty of goo and sonic boom tonight--in fact, noise and mess are practically show staples at this point. With his lighthearted approach to learning, Zaloom has managed to turn legions of kids on to science, not to mention their grateful parents.

"Beakman Live" is based on Paul Zaloom's hugely popular CBS television show "Beakman's World." On that show, Zaloom plays a hilariously eccentric and inquisitive scientist who answers viewers' questions about science, nature and the world around us. The show is a riotous, slapstick-y mix of skewed camera angles, multiple sound effects and experiments that explode and require extensive cleanup.

In six seasons on the air, "Beakman's World" has been nominated for numerous awards. In the 1996 season alone, the show was nominated for nine Emmys, including Best Children's Show. And the show has it's fair share of supporters in other circles as well.

"Fact: 90% of the scientists who ever lived are alive today. Fact: the lively host of 'Beakman's' World may be funnier and more informative than any of them," The Washington Post raved.

And then there's the hair. Beakman's persona suggests a cross between "Seinfeld"'s Kosmo Kramer and a demented Mr. Wizard, only with weirder, wilder, bigger hair. It won't be surprising if Beakman sticks his fingers into a light socket tonight to demonstrate the principles of electricity.

Of course, there's a danger that such a shocker of a 'do can upstage the man himself. "I love it dearly, and I water it twice a week," Zaloom has responded to inquisitions about his trademark coif.

This goofiness, of course, is all in the name of proving that science can be fun. Zaloom personally believes that it is important to make the most of his time by enjoying himself, and it shows. He maintains that he is not putting fun into science but rather letting the fun that's already in science come out for all to see.

Amazingly, Zaloom was not a children's performer when he landed his role in "Beakman's World." His main work was as a puppeteer and political satirist. As a member of Vermont's acclaimed Bread and Puppet Theatre, Zaloom has designed and performed nine full length performances including "Fruit of Zaloom," "My Civilization" and his latest, "Sick but True."

His highly idiosyncratic work employs overhead projection, government document expos and dummy puppets, all in rapid fire to create satirical vignettes about modern life. His non-"Beakman" awards have ranged from a Village Obie Award to a New York Dance and Performance Award.

"The irreverent Beakman can satisfy nearly anyone's curiosity with an answer that is always right on, and can be wry, energetic, sarcastic, engaging, funny and loud," The Los Angeles Times said. Sounds pretty accurate.

Forget those science classes where you had to memorize all those facts and formulas about mass, magnetism and food chains. This is a real educational gem--a merry-go-round with a chalkboard. Paul Zaloom's innovative, interactive brand of science is where lab experiments stop being tedious and start getting interesting.

"Beakman Live" plays Spaulding Auditorium at 7 p.m. Tickets are $14.50 general admission, $7. 50 for students and children under 12.