All regular season tix to be free

Students will now be able to gain free admission to all Dartmouth regular season athletic events, a campus-wide blitz from Dean of the College Jim Larimore revealed yesterday.

This announcement was the latest in the administration's "focus on improving the social life of students."

This change in policy was made public at this time so that students can take advantage of the announcement for tomorrow's football game against Colgate, which will be Dartmouth's first home game of the season.

Bob Gaudet '81, head coach of the men's hockey team, was excited about the positive effect free admission could have at his team's already highly attended games.

"I think it's great," Gaudet said, "It's going to help ignite that Dartmouth spirit at sporting events. It's such a fun environment when you have student support at your games. I hope it will increase attendance at all kinds of events."

The only requirement for admission will be a valid student I.D. and although free admission seats will not be unlimited at high attendance events, such as sold-out basketball and hockey games, a number of free tickets will be reserved for students.

Also pleased with the new policy was the head coach of the men's basketball team, Dave Faucher.

"It's great for the teams and for the students. I think it will add to the spirit of all the events," Faucher said.

The basketball coach added that he was glad the College recognized free admission as a positive policy at other colleges. "A lot of schools have it and I'm glad we joined them," Faucher said.

Free admission signifies a drastic reform for the College's athletic department. Until now, Dartmouth students were required to pay for admission to almost all major sports matches, with the exception of a few select events each season.

Gaudet praised the College for its decision and its attempt to improve the social environment on campus.

"I think it's a great move by the administration," Gaudet said. "I hope it will be received well by the student body."

Gaudet was also excited about the announcement because of his own experiences as a hockey player during his Dartmouth undergraduate career. He commented on how fun games were for him on the ice when the rink's seats were packed with fans.

"I'm excited not only as a coach but as a player, too," added Gaudet.