Students begin voting on 2001 Class Council

Members of the class of 2001 began voting yesterday for their Class Council president and vice-president, although the vast majority of the class did not attend the Monday debate where candidates for these positions sparred over what the role of the council is in championing the Greek system and community service at a Monday night debate.

Ballots were blitzed to students by Director of Student Activities Mark Hoffman, and will have to be returned to the Student Activities office by 3:00 p.m. this afternoon.

The elections were moved to the Summer term for the first time this year to increase awareness and to take advantage of the fact that almost the entire class is in residence this term.

However, only approximately 50 students attended the debate characterized by defense of candidates' views on the Greek system and discussion of what the role of council should be.

Collin O'Mara '01, a candidate for president and who is also a writer for the Dartmouth, opened his speech with his belief that the council should be an active advocate for student voices, especially with the impending announcements about the recent Trustee Initiative.

"We need to make sure we get the options students want, not what 60-year-old rich guys want," O'Mara said.

Unaffiliated, O'Mara praised the Greek system for providing "rich opportunities" for students and said that the College "can't afford to lose social options."

Also unaffiliated, presidential candidate Judy Huang said she hopes Greek life will stay in some form, and that she hopes to integrate Greek system programming with that of the council.

Huang said she envisions the council as a "continuous cycle of energy" that will help to unite the junior class during a year when many students are away from the campus.

O'Mara, however, said he feels the council is past the point where it needs to program, and should instead focus on coordinating support and attendance for programming events planned by other campus groups.

O'Mara said he feels community service opportunities that require less commitment than a Tucker Foundation program is one programming option the council should provide for '01s.

Huang disagreed, citing the number of '01s who do volunteer, either through Tucker programs or other campus organizations, and said that while service should be an element of the council, it is not necessarily the best way to unite the majority of the class.

Both candidates touted their involvement in other campus activities and council as qualifications for the job.

Vice-presidential candidates Tom Ferede '01 and Charles Gussow '01-- a write-in candidate-- also emphasized their opinions about the Greek system and their qualifications for office.

Ferede, who is unaffiliated, opened by stating his three goals for a tenure as vice-president.

He said he wants to improve student life, encourage the council to be a "gateway" between Career Services and students, and to increase opportunities for community service.

A member of the Afro-American Society and president of the Society of Black Engineers, Ferede said he feels that the Greek system provides students with valuable leadership opportunities, and until other viable options are presented, the system should remain.

Gussow, a member of Zeta Psi fraternity said he does not know what the steering committee recommendations will be in the fall, and that the council's agenda should not be dictated by worrying about what the Trustees' decision will be.

Gussow said a major goal of his possible tenure would be resolving the tension between the diverse organizations that divide the class.

Questions from attendees ranged from what candidates would do to increase membership -- to which all stressed the importance of personal communication and word-of-mouth about council activities, as well as advertising and updates in Hinman Boxes or on BlitzMail -- to addressing campus problems and the purpose of being a quality leader.