Social life flourishes despite rural setting

Many people think Dartmouth's remote location precludes any sort of active social life, yet a wide range of social options are thriving in this sleepy New England town.

You'll probably spend your first few weekend nights wandering around with herds of other first-year students -- some you sort of know, others you don't know at all -- feeling clueless and looking for things to do. But do not fear " there are things to do at Dartmouth besides study.

Although other social outlets exist, Greek life is a dominant part of Dartmouth's social culture. About 60 percent of male students at Dartmouth join one of the 17 fraternities during their sophomore and junior years, and about 40 percent of females join one of eight sororities. Other students join coed fraternities.

Webster Avenue, better known as Frat Row, is usually crowded with party-goers on weekends. Most of the Greek events on the weekends are College registered open parties frequently offering a DJ or a live band, and alcohol on tap.

For better or for worse, however, these parties are closed to freshman during the Fall term. In addition, with the new alcohol policy in place, Safety and Security officers will be monitoring the parties to attempt to curb underage drinking and alcohol abuse.

While the film "Animal House" was based on the experiences of director Chris Miller '63 as a brother at Dartmouth's Alpha Delta fraternity, the Greek shin-digs usually do not resemble the film's debauchery.

The only exception is the big party weekend each term which brings returning alumni and visitors to campus to celebrate.

The four big party weekends at the College are Homecoming in the fall, Winter Carnival in the winter, Green Key in the spring and Tubestock in the summer. For each weekend there are specific Dartmouth activities and traditions that have added to their popularity.

If traditional college partying is not your style or you are still bored on those fall nights, the Hopkins Center for the Performing Arts, offers many movies, shows and plays for everyone.

The Dartmouth Film Society sponsors a series of films, both recently released and classic favorites.

Dance parties are also held by some of the affinity houses on campus, such as Cutter-Shabazz Hall for African American students and the Spanish-speaking house La Casa.

If you aren't a dancer but like to watch, student performances including the Hip Hop dance group Sheba and the modern dance troupe Fusion are exciting and well attended.

In addition, the Programming Board often hosts concerts and student activities. Occasionally the Programming Board will provide a free movie at the local Nugget theater for Dartmouth students.

Performers such as the Indigo Girls, Steve Miller Band, Wyclef Jean, Violent Femmes and Live performed at the College as part of the Programming Board's events.

During the spring, the Programming Board also sponsors the popular Dartmouth Up All Night at the Collis Student Center, which hosts a myriad of activities, such as a capella concerts, free movie-showings, glow-in-the-dark body painting, karaoke and video game competitions.

In the warmer months, students hang out by the Connecticut River, hike, play ultimate frisbee on the Green or just bask in the sunshine.

During the colder months, skiing, sledding, snow ball fights, ice skating on Occom pond and working on the ice sculpture bring shivering undergraduates together.

So new members of the Dartmouth community, keep in mind that despite the seclusion of the small town, the trees, and the mountains, the College itself offer a full social calendar.

As most Dartmouth studends will tell you, social life at college is only what you want to make of it.

Dartmouth has plenty of social outlets and night-life, it's just a matter of getting out there and finding them.