Latin jazz band to play at Hopkins Center

When it comes to Jazz musicians, Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band know their stuff.

With his arrival at the College, Sanchez brings with him some of the most authentic Latin music that has ever been exhibited in Hanover.

Having been in the business for some 20 years, the conga player extraordinaire has molded his octet into a high-powered ensemble of some of the most talented Latin musicians around.

With almost 20 albums to his credit as a bandleader, Sanchez has perfected the art of performance and song writing, drawing from Cuban, Mexican and American influences to create his rich sound.

Sanchez's band, consisting of saxophone, trumpet, trombone, bass, piano, percussion and congas, has the ability to play sultry mambos, funky rumbas, sensitive ballads and complex jazz standards.

Sanchez has also been known to come from behind the congas to sing a song or two, showcasing yet another talent of his.

Born in Texas and raised in California, Sanchez grew up listening to the sounds of Latin jazz bands from the outside of clubs that he was not yet old enough to be admitted.

At 23 he began a dream job working with his idol, Latin jazz pioneer Cal Tjader.

Now at 48, Sanchez finds himself at the forefront of Latin jazz innovation bringing forth a sound that both maintains its traditional roots and explores the limits of what Latin jazz is.

He plays music from Africa, Motown classics, swing tunes and even Broadway show tunes, all with a Latin twist.

The one constant in Sanchez's music, however, is that it always grooves.

He has been known to turn even the most reserved performing venues into steaming salsa clubs, prompting audiences members of all ages to do their best rendition of the cha cha cha.

Although Ricky Martin and his Latin music has been hailed as the new sound in pop music, Poncho Sanchez goes one step further and gives his audiences the real thing, a brand of music much older than Martin himself.

Though many consider Latin music to be the "new" sound on the today's pop scene, Sanchez's fans know that Latin jazz has been enjoying its own development for decades.

This weekend, Dartmouth will have the opportunity to enjoy one of the most influential musicians in the genre. Sanchez's performance in Spaulding Auditorium on Friday night should not to be missed for it promises to be a hot show full of exceptional improvisation, tight arrangements and plenty of dancing.