Trustees offer few details on Committee visit

Committee co-Chairs and Trustees Peter Fahey '63 and Susan Dentzer '77 refused to give much information about their work -- including specific people they met with or what the meetings were about.

Dentzer said only that the committee was "continuing our process of talking to a variety of groups."

Fahey said the group met with trustees emeriti, and a group of students selected by the Dean of the College Office, specifying only that a "number of them had experiences in the residence halls" including undergraduate advisors and area coordinators.

"The deans were asked to assemble a group of students that would give us just another slice of student and residential life," Fahey said.

He would say only that the students discussed "general issues relating to the Initiative" and specific issues they were most familiar with.

The committee also met with William de Jong, head of the Higher Education Center for Alcohol and other Drug Prevention.

Contrary to previous indications from the co-chairs, Dentzer said yesterday the group will not be meeting again in Hanover until the Fall term, but Fahey left the door open for another, off-campus summer meeting.

The co-chairs previously told The Dartmouth the committee intends to present a list of options for residential life changes to the Dartmouth community after students return to campus in the fall.

The committee with present a progress report to the full Board of Trustees at their meeting in August and will receive feedback from the Trustees.

A full report is still expected to be presented to the Board at their November meeting, recommending changes to the College's social and residential living situation.

This is the committee's third meeting this term.