'49s have come back to Hanover

The Class of 1949, 305 of them coming up for the reunion, kicked off their reunion weekend leisurely with golf and tennis tournaments on Friday morning.

A speech by a classmate and French and Italian professor John A. Rassias '49 and William R. Kenan followed these tournaments.

The speech is titled, Reunion College: "Great Issues at the Millennium: Communications in a Perilous World -Tongue of War" and will be held in the Moore Theater.

On Saturday, there was a luncheon given in honor of the 50-Year Class by the College in West wing of Alumni Gym.

John P. Stearns '49, class president, presented the gift from the Class of 1949 to the graduating Class of 1999.

J. Michael McGean '49, secretary of the College emeritus, gave a 50-Year Address and College President James Wright also gave a presentation to the class.

This was followed by 1949 Symposium: "The Berry Library and the North Campus" also in the Moore Theater. The speech was given by Gordon V. DeWitt '60, Director of Facilities Planning, and John G. Crane '69, Director of Administrative Services, Baker Library.

They have stayed in Andres, Morton and Zimmerman dormitories.

While the class has been looking forward to the reunion, the Initiative decision by the Trustees outraged many of his classmates, Thomas said.

The idea of making fraternities coed is simply not feasible, Thomas said. "We know the problem, but this is not the solution," he said.

He pointed out that girls would be more upset than guys would be. Elimination of sororities will cause suffering for many women, he said citing that his daughter, who also attended the College, enjoyed her sorority experience significantly.

"Women are suffering from the problems caused by men," Thomas said. "By putting women into fraternities, it won't solve the problem at all. They are just making the girls housekeepers."

Thomas also pointed out that the public relations situation was handled badly.

"It was atrocious," he said. "I live in Norwich, Vt., but I was in San Francisco at the time and I had to hear from someone in San Francisco about the news, instead of the College informing us directly."

Thomas said the attendance for the reunion did not decrease due to the Trustees' initiative, but there would be some effects on fund raising.

"Some people will rethink about giving money to the College," Thomas told The Dartmouth.