Harris '81 named EOAA director

Ozzie Harris '81, acting director of the College's office of equal opportunity and affirmative action, was named the new EOAA director on Monday, effective immediately.

Harris, who has served as acting director of the EOAA Office since 1998, will direct the College's affirmative action program, as well as oversee Dartmouth's adherence to federal equal opportunity statutes and guidelines.

"This is exciting for me," Harris said. "I look forward to pursuing my relationship with the College."

Harris previously served as associate director from 1993 to 1998. Harris came to the College in 1992 as assistant director of the Office of Financial Aid.

While the appointment puts Harris in a permanent position as Director of the EOAA Office, he said he did not expect major changes to take place.

His office has "been doing some small things throughout the year," Harris said. "I don't think there will be anything that would be a dramatic change."

Harris said his office will continue to institute some changes from the past year, including making his office's data more accessible to people interested in reading this information.

Harris' appointment comes following a recommendation by the College's search committee, headed by Dean of Graduate Studies Roger Sloboda.

"I am pleased the President accepted our recommendation," Sloboda said.

College President James Wright, who appointed Harris, said, "Ozzie has been a valuable member of this community for many years ... I look forward to continuing our work together."

Before coming to the College, Harris worked as a law clerk for the Boston Human Rights Commission and the New Hampshire Public Defender's Office.

"President Wright has made clear that Dartmouth holds the strongest possible commitment to the principles of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action," Harris said. "I look forward to continuing to be part of Dartmouth's efforts in that direction."