College may lose prof.

The College is currently involved in a battle for the only Dartmouth professor that teaches courses in Asian American studies - History Professor Vernon Takeshita.

Although courses for Native American and African American Studies have their own departments, no courses are available in Asian American studies - despite the fact that Asian Americans are the largest minority on campus - with the exception of two courses taught by Takeshita in the history department.

Although Dean of the Faculty Ed Berger said creating a program of study requires "faculty involvement from the bottom up," the College's only Asian American scholar may be leaving after spending only two years here.

Berger said Yale University has offered Takeshita a one-year visiting appointment, from which he will have the opportunity to be put on a track for tenure.

But it is unclear whether Takeshita will be leaving Hanover and heading to New Haven, as the College laid a counteroffer on the table this week. The administration authorized a tenure track for Takeshita and the history department submitted the paperwork yesterday to recommend Takeshita for a permanent position as an associate professor.

Takeshita declined to comment last night on the job offer from Yale or the possibility of his being given tenure at Dartmouth.

Asian-American students and those wishing to pursue study of Asian-American topics currently lack resources and academic departments of study that exist for groups in other areas such as the Native American and African American Studies, which not only offer courses but have their own majors and departments.

In addition to lacking an academic department, the College does not have an Asian American Center or faculty advisor.

Takeshita told The Dartmouth an Asian American Studies program is necessary in order to have resources to bring speakers to the College, encourage relations among different communities and have the opportunity to create relevant course subjects.

Compared to other Ivy League schools, Dartmouth is particularly lacking, according to many in the Asian-American community including Pan Asian Council co-chair Jen Chon '99 who said the College is "hugely behind" in establishing a program for Asian Americans.

Berger said that the reason the Asian Americans lack a course of study is because they are the most recent group to begin the process.

Creating a program of study requires faculty support to write a justification explaining the curriculum and how the courses make a unified field of study.

A program can begin by requesting a certificate, then work up to a minor or major, Berger said.

The first success in the process of creating a program at the College was bringing Takeshita to the history department two years ago.

"We thought he would be the pioneer," Chon said.

"He's sort of hired year by year," Chon said. "Everyone that teaches wants something permanent."

History department Vice-Chair Margaret Darrow said, "We are interested in keeping him" but the administration first had to authorize the creation of a permanent position.

Chon said Takeshita "is tremendously involved in extracurricular activities" of Asian American study.