Work group discusses 'coed' principle

Almost 20 students, most of them sophomores and approximately half members of Greek organizations, discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the current social system at the College in a gathering last night of the work group focused on the most controversial of the five principles proposed in February by College President James Wright and the Board of Trustees.

Students at the work group meeting -- co-chaired by Jennifer Parkinson '99 and Marc Fenigstein '01 -- discussed the third principle, which calls for a substantially coeducational social system at Dartmouth.

Although the students reached no clear standpoint, volunteered ideas citing the benefits of the Greek system were more forthcoming.

The students expressed a largely positive view of the current social system commenting on the Greek system as something that brings the campus together, however some suggestions for improvements existed.

Student Assembly member Scott Jacobs '99 expressed his view that in the current system, students do not take enough responsibility for correcting the negative aspects.

Jacobs later said, "Underage drinking must be able to happen," stressing the need to facilitate safe and responsible drinking habits in a social atmosphere.

Students at the meeting generally expressed a desire for coeducational organizations that are more accessible and open to all students, as well as a more equal distribution of space to both genders.

"We need not just more but better coeducational interaction," Student Assembly President Josh Green '00 said.

Such a system should also provide more diversions that run past midnight, students said.

Many of the students present said an improved social system at the College would be more "people-focused," including central space where students would be able to meet people and socialize as well as drink. Several students emphasized the importance of having many social options, such as pool tables, a bar and a dance floor in one place.

Case Dorkey '99 called the student-supervised and student-organized space within the Greek system an advantage, while the resources for programming events such as available space and money for concerts or dance parties were also mentioned.

One student said the chance to meet upperclass women was one of the main benefits she sees in the Greek system. Another student stressed the importance of having a place for people of the same gender to interact, as there are not many single-sex groups on campus otherwise.

Several students raised the issue of alcohol education programs which are part of mandatory training for new members of Greek organizations. Not allowing students to rush Greek houses until their sophomore year was also regarded as a positive aspect of the current system.

Fenigstein expressed his view that the idea of designing the East Wheelock cluster as an alternative to the Greek system has been a failure. As the residential cluster is too large, not student-owned and not entirely run by students, Fenigstein said, it does not offer sufficient incentives to become involved with or attend programming events sponsored by the cluster.

"There's not the same sort of pride behind it," he said.

As the current system's primary negative aspects, students mentioned the occurrence of underage drinking, reliance on one social option over others, the fact that much interaction between males and females takes place in a setting that involves alcohol and the "lack of ambiance" and upkeep of social spaces.

In addition, students may not reach out to others outside their Greek organization once they become members of a house, Fenigstein said.

Fenigstein will meet with the Trustees later this week to present student viewpoints.