Class day speakers announced

The Senior Executive Committee announced the speakers and class marshals for Class Day yesterday.

Seniors Landis Fryer, Jen Parkinson, Erica Rivinoja and Dave Sussman were selected as the class historians. The historians give a comedy routine covering the four-year history of the class, including anecdotes about administrators, faculty and students.

Kesner Bienvenu was chosen as the class orator, who gives a classical or literary speech. The orator reflects on growth, friendships and the spirit of Dartmouth.

Seniors Shauna Brown, Kerry Bystrom, Case Dorkey, James Gallo, Andy Hatcher, Greg Johnston, Cara Mathews and Rahsaan Sales will be honored as class marshals. Dorkey will carry the Dartmouth flag, and Mathews will hold the U.S. flag.

The marshals and Flag Bearers will lead the Senior Class from Commencement rehearsal in Leede Arena to the Bema on Class Day and to the Green on Commencement.

"We attempted to consider not only our interests, but those of the entire class," James Gallo, president of the SEC, said. The SEC is comprised of 20 representatives from the Class of 1999. They were elected to the Committee earlier this year.

"The Committee tried to choose people who have shown a commitment to the College," Gallo said. The individuals chosen have earned the respect of their peers in leadership roles at the College. The honorees have crossed boundaries and made meaningful contributions to the Dartmouth community.

Terry Osborn, adjunct professor of English, was chosen as the faculty speaker. Osborn has been teaching at Dartmouth for 13 years, and this will be his first time speaking at Class Day.

"This is the biggest honor I've received in my time here," Osborn said. "My relationship with students is so important to the way I teach. I've gotten to know a lot of people from the Class of '99 over the years, and I really do value knowing the students."

"In my speech, I'll touch on something I call the intimate education. This is a method of teaching based on individual interactions between students and professors, not just students and the material," Osborn said. "Dartmouth allows me to teach this way."

Johnston, who was chosen as a class marshall, has excelled in track and field during his time at the College. He is an Olympic hopeful for the Canadian national team in 2000.

"I love Dartmouth. I have a lot of pride in the school. I actually have a tattoo of the green D, so it's going to be with me forever. I have a runner, a Canadian Maple Leaf and the D tattooed on my back because those three things define me," Johnston said.

Bienvenu was pleased at being honored as class orator. He has had a considerable amount of experience in public speaking with his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha. Bienvenu recently won first place in a regional oratorical contest in Richmond, Va. He will represent his fraternity at the national oratorical contest this summer.

"I've always enjoyed public speaking. I take pleasure in it. It comes naturally to me," Bienvenu said. Beinvenu is comfortable as a leader on campus, having served as an executive officer of the African-American Society, co-chair of Palaeopitus and intern in the Alumni Relations office.

"The thing I'll miss the most about Dartmouth is the opportunity to be surrounded by a considerable number of thoughtful, energetic, intelligent people at one point in time," Bienvenu said.

Parkinson, one of the class historians, was excited about collaborating with the other historians for their comedy routine.

"I'm pleased to be recognized as funny. It's not the first adjective that comes to mind when I describe myself, though," she said.

Parkinson has been a staff columnist for The Dartmouth, president of Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority, member of the Committee on Standards and co-chair of the working group for Principle Three.

Rivinoja, another historian, has some experience in the humor department, because she performs with the Dog Day Players and writes for the Jack-o-Lantern magazine.

"I love Dartmouth and I will be sad when I leave it," Rivinoja said, but she promised to be more eloquent on Class Day. "I'm really excited to be a representative of the Class of '99."

Though Fryer served on the SEC, he was surprised at his selection for historian. He was not allowed in the room while the Committee deliberated, and the decision was made by a secret vote.

"A lot of people say I have a very dry sense of humor, but I don't know what a wet sense of humor is," Fryer said. "I love Dartmouth, and I can say that with a lot of heart."

During his four years at Dartmouth Fryer has served as a Senior Interviewer in the Admissions Office, Cultural Committee Chairman of the African-American Society, and UGA in the East Wheelock Cluster.

"We were able to recognize some people who were unsung heroes at Dartmouth, but it was difficult, because so many people were worthy of the honor," Gallo said. The Committee spent three weeks reviewing the pile of nominations they received.

Class Day will be held on Saturday, June 12 at 10:30 a.m.