Panel discusses Presidency after the impeachment

A panel of four Government professors at the College -- Linda Fowler, Constantine Spiliotes, Angelia Means and Lynn Vavreck -- spoke last night on the aftermath of America's second impeachment trial. Each professor offered commentary on a different aspect of the impeachment and its ramifications on the presidency.

Professor Means discussed the relationship between law and morality, and the implications the impeachment trial might have for Constitutional Law.

The public attitude toward the President as a person is changing, Means said. The public no longer sees the President as a moral exemplar and is willing to accept more failings, she said. Means called this shift a problematic one, because she thinks it difficult not to think of leaders as moral leaders.

Professor Spiliotes also emphasized a change in the Presidency. While there are not yet definite answers about the future of the Presidency, he said, he believes it will survive the impeachment trial but be redefined. The impeachment trial is just a symptom of change, he said.

In the future, he said, the president may have more of a policy-making role rather than assuming the role of a strong national leader. The President will be less of a symbolic national figure, he said.

"The era of the larger-than-life president may be fading," Spiliotes said.

He also said the relationship between the president and the media is likely to change, resulting in fewer press conferences. As a result, he said, press conferences will no longer be a open exchange of ideas, as presidents may be more inhibited in their statements to the press.

This inhibition of discourse will have a "chilling effect on the presidency and the media," he said.

Professor Fowler continued the discussion by presenting her thoughts on what effects the impeachment would have on Congress.

Fowler explained that the dominance of the House of Representatives would recede, while the Senate may take on the role of spokesperson for the Congress.

In addition, she said, the current situation is unprecedented, as the person in the Speaker's position is fairly inexperienced. She said she was not sure if the current Speaker has the skills and savvy required for the legislative process.

"We're in for a very uncertain period in the House," Fowler said.

Professor Vavreck went on to explain some of the effects the impeachment trial may have on the elections in the year 2000. The trial may have more obvious effects on election results, discourse, and candidates' election strategies, as increasing scrutiny is given to candidates' personal lives.

In total, however, aside from possibly discouraging candidates from participating in the election race, the impeachment trial will not have a great effect on the 2000 elections, she said.