Students voice mixed reactions to Clinton's speech

Reactions to President Clinton's State of the Union address were mixed among students who watched the speech last night.

Students generally agreed that the timing of the speech was acceptable, citing the president's constitutional requirement to deliver the speech as reason not to delay, despite impeachment proceedings in the Senate.

"I think it is really important to show the country that the business of the country is being conducted," Scott Jacobs '99 said. Had he not given the speech, it would have given the impression that he was backing down, Jacobs said.

Jay Liu '99 said it was a timely maneuver to get support behind him, adding that perhaps the speech would provide some much needed distraction from the entire "tawdry affair" of impeachment.

Some students felt that the speech was more politically oriented, targeting the public with a variety of popular social programs to generate Democratic support for Clinton in the Senate.

Adam Tanney '01 said politically, the speech was brilliant, but Clinton "shamelessly promised everything to everyone without any regard to feasibility."

"I think he was talking to the American people to increase his popularity," Carrie Dunsmore '00 said.

The huge variety of programs that Clinton announced were appealing, especially the president's plans on Social Security, but after a while it seemed Clinton was just adding programs for the sake of adding, Dunsmore said.

"I don't know where the money is coming from," Dunsmore said.

William Schoen '00 said the speech was very partisan, but the State of the Union is supposed to be a feel-good speech.

"He's good in front of the camera and he rises to the occasion, but he's still in really big trouble," Schoen said.

Claire Heleniak '99 said the amount of material covered, the President's assertive tone, and positive message amazed her. She said she felt the speech gives hope that a lot will get done in the future.

Students were also supportive of the policy initiatives discussed in the speech, with the greatest support for the Social Security and education initiatives.

"Public education is the most important thing the country should be focusing on," Kendra Quincey Kemp '02 said. "There should be great schools everywhere."

But the president drew criticism from students for not taking a stiffer stance on civil rights in China and on trade expansion.

Tanney said more open trade and access for American companies to overseas markets is good, but the President has failed to look at the consequences of such moves on local populations in less developed markets.

"How can you protect small American businesses [in this country] when you are opening the market to large foreign multinationals?" he said.