Jaimie Paul is first female CFSC president

Jaimie Paul '00, the newly-elected president of the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council, had no idea her victory would make Dartmouth history.

Paul, a member of Sigma Delta sorority, holds the distinction of becoming the first female ever to be elected president of the CFSC -- the Greek organization's governing body and one of the largest student organizations on campus. Paul said she was honored to have made such a mark, but added it should not be a major issue.

"I hope that if there was a huge difference [between me and my male predecessors], it wouldn't be just because I am a female, but because of who I am and what I do with the council," she said.

During her three term-long tenure, Paul hopes to bring the Greek system and the rest of the campus closer together. One of the ways she plans to achieve that goal is by setting up community service projects by pairing a Greek organization with a non-Greek organization.

Paul said she wants the Greek system to have a positive impact on the College, citing that more than 50 percent of the student body belong to a CFSC organization. "A lot of people want to see it happen, and it will happen," she said.

Serving in an executive position on the CFSC is nothing new to Paul. In the summer, Paul served briefly as CFSC president. Paul also served as CFSC treasurer last spring.

"It was a good introduction [to the job], but the biggest difference is intensity of work," Paul said, explaining that summer term is more "laid back."

Paul's friends describe her as a loyal friend and a capable leader.

Allison Thomas '00, a close friend of Paul, described Paul as "self-motivated and energetic."

"She's going to do a great job as CFSC president and as a leader on this campus," Thomas said.

Fellow Sigma Delt Leigh Johnson '00 said Paul was "incredibly motivated."

"She is truly an asset not only the lives of those close to her but also to the Dartmouth community as a whole," Johnson said.

Paul describes herself as an enthusiastic and optimistic person who always sees the bright side of things.