Falzone speaks on 'greater and safer sex'

Not often does one have the opportunity to see a student with a condom over his head and face in Collis Common Ground. However, this rare opportunity occurred last night at the conclusion of sex educator and humorist Maria Falzone's presentation titled "Sex Rules."

Falzone concluded the evening in this unique way after an often comical speech on sex. The purpose of the presentation was to teach about "greater and safer sex."

Falzone began by asking how many students' parents told them about sex. Few students said they had an actual frank discussion with their parents.

Falzone remarked that the situation is similar throughout the world, except that the U.S. is more aware of these conversational inhibitions.

"It's OK to be scared," Falzone said.

She remarked that up until the age of 29, she had only had sex under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but a case of herpes brought the realization that the time had come to act responsibly.

Falzone urged the audience to consider what they thought someone with a sexually transmitted disease would look like to prove that anyone can have these STDs.

Falzone said the most important thing is to be responsible about sex.

The first way to accomplish this, she said, is through masturbation. She said it is the safest way both sexually and emotionally, calling it the "greatest form of self-love."

Falzone said it is crucial for one to know his or her own body, needs and desires.

"Never have sex under the influence of drugs or alcohol." Falzone said. She said drugs inhibit communication, and sex cannot be successful without communication.

Falzone said there is also a danger of not hearing the other person if they say no to further sexual acts, which is when the possibility of date rape arises.

She also said that alcohol is a depressant that dulls the senses.

Falzone told the audience about her first sexual experience, which she said was an unpleasant one.

She said she had been scared and a peer advisor told her to combat this through drinking. However, she said she wishes she had been told that she was just not ready.

These masked fears and inhibitions also lead to decreased chances of feeling good about the experience afterwards, Falzone said.

"When you go to have sex, you should feel good about it, " Falzone said.

Falzone said in addition to having open communication regarding sexual experiences, she thinks one should know his or her body -- sex is about sharing your body, and you cannot really share what you do not have, she said.

Not only do you need to know what you want, but you also need to be able to communicate that to your partner, Falzone said.

She said protection is an essential part of sex, and then explained how to use a female condom.

Using lip balm as an example of an oil-based product which destroys the latex of condoms, Falzone said it is important to use other, non-oil-based lubricants.

She said some people complain that condoms are too small, but to prove this fallacy wrong, she and an audience member stretched a condom over their hands and fit it over the head and face of another male audience member. She then had him blow up the condom.

After this, Falzone ended her presentation by telling the audience to stand up and join her in a primal scream, explaining the audience must touch body parts, say their names and then end with the scream.

Falzone is a renowned comic speaker who has performed on A&E and NBC television networks and has spent the past two years lecturing on sex.

The event was sponsored by the Women's Resource Center, the dean of the College and the Programming Board.