Board weighs town, College interests: Nine out of 11 Planning Board members have ties to Dartmouth

Due to the recent surge in College construction, some members of the town are raising concerns that so many members of the Hanover Planning Board which approves such plans are directly connected to Dartmouth.

Of the 11 board members, nine have connections to the College -- four are employed by either the College or its affiliated organizations, such as the Dartmouth Medical School, two members are married to employees of the College, one is a former employee and two are Dartmouth alumni.

These connections have some members of the town worried that the board may be biased in favor of approving College related construction.

By the numbers

"Just by the sheer numbers, it would imply the game of cards is being stacked or weighted in favor of a decision towards Dartmouth," Hanover resident Frederick Crory said.

Crory has had a long-time dispute with the College concerning the construction of the new Rugby clubhouse.

A Zoning Board decision declaring that facility educational and therefore exempt from numerous town ordinances, as well as other Planning Board votes -- such as the unanimous approval of the Berry Library plans in a matter of hours -- has sparked much debate about the makeup of town boards.

"All of a sudden its a very sensitive issue and there's an outcry," Crory said. "When Dartmouth is not doing much building there aren't many cries."

The Planning Board is appointed by the town's Board of Selectmen and must rule on all site plans for projects other than routine improvements to single-family residences.

Despite the numerous collegiate ties, Town Manager Julia Griffin said the issue is not as severe as it might appear.

"It's an ongoing problem," Griffin said. "Not necessarily a conflict of interest."

Griffin said she thinks there are "two levels of conflict" at issue with board members and the College -- a direct pecuniary conflict when somebody works for the same department which stands to gain from the proposed project and those who work for a different College department.

Griffin said people in the first category must remove themselves from any votes regarding their specific department, but those from different departments or the professional schools can decide if they can or cannot hear the cases fairly.

She said the same rules apply to members married to Dartmouth workers.

"The courts have ruled that as long as your spouse does not have a direct pecuniary interest, [spouses of employees] can sit," Griffin said.

She also said being an alum does not necessitate a required removal. "One could argue Dartmouth alumni are predisposed against Dartmouth projects."

She also said donors to the specific project before the board must step down.

Griffin said many members of the board are now beginning to take steps to alleviate citizen concerns.

"The difference now," Griffin said, "is it's always routine that when a project is before the board where someone feels the audience could perceive they have a conflict ... the members are speaking up and acknowledging the connection."

Distinctions

Board Chairman and Associate Professor of Pathology at the College Charles Faulkner said the concentration of College--connected members is a point of concern, but members should decide themselves on an individual basis.

"It's definitely something we are aware of," Faulkner said. "I guess I would agree the feelings could be influenced."

Faulkner said he sees a distinction between employees and alumni. "I guess I would not perceive the alumni connection as a conflict of interest."

Faulkner also said he separates employees of the undergraduate College and those working for the professional schools.

Board member Shawn Donovan, who worked at Dartmouth as assistant director of business affairs from 1985-87, said the connections are an issue but are not major.

"I think it's a problem, but it's one that people are cognizant of and are careful to maintain their objectivity."

Donovan said he does not think citizens should be worried about partiality.

"I have seen, in the 16 years I've lived in the town, the elected and appointed representatives in the town make the best possible decisions for the town," he said.

Donovan said he thinks the board recognizes the College has "the highest quality design and development," and said that is what is reflected in the votes for Dartmouth projects, rather than College loyalty.

"If people on the board were to see time and time again [bad plans], I don't think there would be any reluctance at all to reject what the College is proposing."

Fellow board member John Hughes told The Dartmouth he refuses to comment on any Planning Board issues, even though he is a voting member.

The Gorilla

While many board members The Dartmouth spoke to recommended concerned citizens apply to sit on the board to balance its composition, Crory said he has concerns about the selection process.

"If you look at the way the Board of Selectmen appoints members to the board, there appears to be a lot of back room dealings," Crory said.

"There's very little discussion and because typically there's little choice between voting for a College person or a town person, it's pretty much agreed when [board member and College employee Kate Connolly] puts the name in they'll agree with it and put the person on the board."

Associate College Counsel Sean Gorman said the College-connected board is a "situation people are very conscious of," but he does not think there is cause for concern.

Former Tuck Business School professor and citizen of Hanover Len Morrissey, along with many of the people The Dartmouth spoke to, said there is not a conflict, but ideally the board would be composed of more varied members.

Many said a more diverse board would be difficult to gather because of the College's large presence in the town.

"The College is an 800-pound gorilla in the living room," Donovan said. "They are the reason the town exists."

Donovan said the issue should not be dividing the town's populace into those who are and are not connected to Dartmouth. "For the town of Hanover to continue to succeed and grow wisely, there has to be a good cooperating relationship with the College."

Griffin said the town is currently working on refining its conflict of interest policy, which the board could refer to when determining potential conflicts.