Big Green hockey upsets Maine

After three weeks of testing and re-testing their formula for success, the women's field hockey team finally got it right yesterday afternoon as the Big Green scored their second win of the season with a 2-1 victory over the visiting Maine Black Bears at Chase Field.

The win improved the Big Green to 2-4 overall. Meanwhile, the Black Bears dropped to 6-2 on the campaign.

But more importantly, the victory promises to provide the Dartmouth squad with the confidence they've been searching for all season long.

"Maine was ranked 18th in the nation going into this game, so for us to come out with a victory is really good," said Jillian Joyce '01. "This can be our turning point and we're hoping to improve our record going forward."

There were three ingredients to Dartmouth's new formula for winning.

First, the Big Green's leading scorer for the season, Kim Jenkin '02, continued to lead the team on the attack.

Second, Dartmouth's all-time career points leader, Lauren Scopaz '00, got back on track as she tallied her first goal of the season yesterday.

And finally, Dartmouth's goalkeeper, Brittany D'Augustine '01, displayed a top-notch performance between the posts as she anchored the stalwart Big Green defense all afternoon.

The Black Bear attack lit the lamp at the 16:45 mark in the opening half as Kristi Knight snagged a pass from Mary Beth Coughlin and capitalized on an early penalty corner opportunity.

Then it was the trusty Scopaz duo who pulled Dartmouth even as Kristen Scopaz '00 chipped a feed to her sister in front of the net to set up the Big Green's first tally of the day.

Later, Dartmouth took the lead courtesy of a Joyce dish to Jenkin in front of the net for the eventual game-winner. Jenkin now leads the Big Green in scoring with three goals and seven points for the season.

The Black Bears had two late opportunities to even the score as Maine was awarded two penalty corners. But Dartmouth's D'Augustine came up huge, denying both of Maine's attempts for a tie.

D'Augustine finished the afternoon with 10 saves.

The Big Green hit the road this weekend in search of their first Ivy victory as they travel to Providence, R. I. to play the Brown Bears on Saturday at noon.

Brown enters the game with an unblemished 2-0 record in the Ivy League.

Dartmouth's offensive attack should face a tough challenge as last week's Ivy Rookie of the Week, Brown netminder, Annie Owens, brings her excellent resume to the game.

Owens made 18 saves in an overtime victory over the University of New Hampshire. The Big Green will take on UNH next Wednesday in Durham.