Wilde production a funny crowd-pleaser

A dynamic cast of experienced and first-time actors and actresses did an overall superb job in "The Importance of Being Earnest" last Friday Night. This comedy of manners was an absolute winner.

The opening act was highlighted by an initial conversation between Algernon (Brett Perala '00) and John (Seth Hoffman '00). Perala's Algernon, full of high flung, seemingly intellectual witticism, was so absurd the only recourse was to laugh and enjoy his clever banter. His mannerisms were definite and consistent from the opening to the final act, which fit his character's personality quite well and added a delicate charm to Algernon's character.

Hoffman's John was indeed a man from the country, a more relaxed and down to earth chap, which was perfectly reflected in his wardrobe, speech and manner. Although a likable character, he seems a little flat in the show when compared to the dynamic Algernon. Being in many of the same scenes together, the John character was easily overshadowed by Algernon's flamboyance.

The most entertaining scene in the opening act involved Lady Bracknell (Lisa Bianchi '00), a very loud and outspoken woman whose daughter Gwendolyn (Sarah Hale '00) is in love with John. Upon discovery of their professed engagement, Lady Bracknell proceeds to interview John to determine if he deserves a place on her list of suitable suitors. The entire process is hilarious, as Bianchi's Lady Bracknell dominates not only the conversation but the stage as well with her impassioned expressions and sharp reactions.

Perhaps one of the best played characters in the opening act was Lane (Charles Divak '00), Algernon's butler, whose few interspersed lines were charming, funny and clever. His personality combined with his pessimism made for a very enjoyable character whose appearances inspired laughter through his unemotional disposition toward his occupation and household.

The second act takes place in the country, where we meet Cecily (Skye Gurney '99), John's ward and her governess Miss Prism (Julie Sagalowsky '00). Cecily's character is a dreamer whose concentration lies solely in the diary writes craftily woven tales of love in. Her voice and mannerisms reflect her youthfulness, but at times her character became overly childlike, with big, expressive movements and a whine in her speech. Later in the scene she pulls it all together as she meets Gwendolyn. They think they are in love with the same man, a facade that both John and Algernon have assumed to woo these two women. The scene in which Cecily ruins Gwendolyn's tea party is played as first-rate farce.

Sagalowsky's Miss Prism definitely leaves her mark on the second act with a hilariously energized hand gesture that accompanies what seems to be her favorite adage. We also meet The Reverend Doctor Chasuble (Ilya Magazanin '00), who is quite obviously in love with Miss Prism. He is a very finicky man who's presence seems to create a dilemma for himself and for Miss Prism, who are both worried about being too forward with their friendship. Ms. Merriman (Julie Sloane '99), John's housekeeper also makes a dynamic appearance on the scene with her dutious demeanor that becomes more hesitant as she becomes entangled in Cecily's scheme against Gwendolyn and contradictory requests from John and Algernon.

In the final act, Gwendolyn and Cecily unite in sisterhood as their men, John and Algernon, are now in trouble with Lady Bracknell, who disapproves of Gwendolyn's engagement to John, who therefore disapproves of Cecily's engagement to Algernon. The act ends with a big surprise, and the actors play the scene as if they are discovering it for themselves.

"Importance" was indeed a well performed show, with elegant costumes and sets. The accents are perhaps the most important area for the cast to work on, and as the show continues, they will definitely improve. Putting this production together in about a month's time is impressive, and the work they did was stunning. The entire cast and crew should definitely consider continuing their work in the theater, for they have proved their worth as actors and actresses by this fine show.