Work on Berry Library progresses

As preliminary construction on Berry Library continues this week, the sound of pounding jackhammers have prompted the Baker Library information desk to offer earplugs to all patrons.

Pedestrian traffic around the work site -- located north of Baker between the library and Gerry Hall -- is being rerouted again. The construction fence around the site has cut off access to Elm St. since last term, and will remain in place until at least 2000.

Though by now most students have adjusted to the detours the construction has caused, many confused pedestrians had to scale the fence to get to classes on time last term, before most people became acquainted with the new paths to each academic building.

But work progresses on the library, which will not be finished at least until the Class of 2000 graduates.

Last week the construction of a steam tunnel and electric manhole near Carpenter Hall began as scheduled, according to a recent electronic-mail message update from William D. Brawley, the College's director of Computing Services Communications.

Over the next three weeks the Church of Christ at Dartmouth College parking lot -- located behind Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity -- will be re-configured. Pedestrian access will be blocked during this time, according to the Brawley's message.

North-south foot traffic will now be rerouted around Gerry and onto the other side of Baker. The construction will result in the changed location of the fence blocking off the construction site and the creation of 15 parking spaces for the church.

According to the e-mail message, a new walkway will be placed between Raven House and the Church of Christ parking lot and a new lawn will be seeded with grass to become lawn space.

The construction of Berry and related work sites began this spring after heated debate on the issue during Fall term.

Members of the faculty -- led by Art History Professor Joy Kenseth -- complained about the library's appearance, comparing its design to mills, factories and shopping malls.

Despite criticism and vehement outcry, the Board of Trustees approved the plans and construction began on schedule last term.