The low-down on summer radio's winners and losers

Listening to the radio this summer could get redundant fast.

In addition to covers and re-workings of familiar material, there are throwback songs by the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Brian Setzer, who has moved back a decade or two from his Stray Cat days.

There is still a lot of room on the radio dial for upbeat and catchy tunes this summer, although the quotient of moody depressing songs should have been reached long ago.

'Heroes'

'Come with Me'

The Wallflowers turned in a half-hearted cover of the David Bowie-Brian Eno classic for the "Godzilla" soundtrack. Not only is the new version inferior, but the song's Berlin Wall setting really isn't appropriate for a slick movie about a giant lizard. The Wallflowers do not add anything to a song that was perfect in its original format. **##

At least the Puff Daddy/Led Zeppelin combination sounded like a good musical update in theory. But like the movie it accompanies, what works on paper does not always work in actuality. **###

'The Way'

Fastball's Wallflower-esque single also has a touch of campy throwback sound which echoes Smash Mouth's "Walkin' on the Sun." The only thing it lacks is an incredibly catchy portion without words a la "Semi-Charmed Life" or "MMMBop." ***###

'Kind and Generous'

Natalie Merchant's upbeat single is just as catchy as her "Carnival" but without the dark undertones. The sing-along tune's only weakness is an overly simple set of lyrics, but summer is the best season for such sentiment. ***1/2

'Iris'

'Uninvited'

The Goo Goo Dolls' contribution to the "City of Angels" soundtrack fits the mood of the movie well, but as summer fare, "Iris" is rather depressing. And the verses and chorus offer precious little variety between them. ***###

Alanis Morisette's "Uninvited" is also dark like "Iris," but it has an orchestral flare which adds to the depression the seasonal mood of a thunderstorm. And her vocals give the song a unique taste which is lacking in Aerosmith's "Don't Want to Miss a Thing." *** 1/2

'Fire'

Babyface is the Anthony Hopkins of pop music. He is so good at what he does that we take him for granted and the strength of his work for some reason just does not have the impact it should. ***###

'Zoot Suit Riot'

'Jump, Jive, and Wail'

The Cherry Poppin' Daddies' swing-dancing revival tune is fun and lively with just the right amount of nostalgia and modern nastiness. "Zoot Suit Riot" could have been the uncontested swing tune of the summer if it weren't for former Stray Cat Brian Setzer.

While the Cherry Poppin' Daddies' song has a head start, Setzer's version of "Jump, Jive and Wail" has the added benefit of being the same song featured in the popular Gap television ad. Both songs: ****###

'Still the One'

The only thing keeping Shania Twain's song from being a summer anthem is that it is too much of a ballad -- too slow to tap your fingers along to when you're driving. ***###

'Don't Want to Miss a Thing'

Aerosmith's power ballad from the "Armageddon" soundtrack is every bit as good as it was when they released it under the title "What It Takes." **###

'Ray of Light'

Madonna's second single from the "Ray of Light" album is faster than many other summer songs and it shows a vocal range and skill most techno songs don't. ****###

'Closing Time'

Like Matchbox 20's ubiquitous "Push" from last summer, Semisonic's "Closing Time" is the lyrically vapid song you just can't get out of your head. Most of the song is a collection of cliches from nighttime bar dialogue, but without any sort of insight or even self-consciousness. Add to that the nugget "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" and you have what would be a forgettable song if it weren't so darn catchy. ****