Maxwell really, really wants to sleep with you--again

Every song out of "Embrya" oozes sexuality. Whether smooth operator Maxwell is reflecting on a newly found lover or seducing another, Maxwell continues to push R&B into another level. A contemplation about relationships and sex, the new album lacks the cohesiveness found on the last album, "Urban Hang Suite," which was structured from courtship to marriage. "Embrya" describes and dwells on each subtle rise and fall within a relationship.

The heavy groove and baseline throughout much of the album conjures feelings of heartbeats and intimacy, reflecting Maxwell's need to revere women. This specific mix of message and melodies provides listeners with an alternative to typical R&B. The first track on the album, "Everwanting: To want you to want," begins with a minute of hypnotic pulsating baseline. What ensues is Maxwell's smooth seduction over a high pleading chorus. Unfortunately, even his vocal embellishments cannot overcome a flat chorus.

Fortunately, "Drowndeep Hula" and "Know these things: shouldn't you," while in the same style, show a greater amount of devotion to utilizing his falsetto. Lacking a strong drum beat, both songs present a Maxwell whose voice moves well above the melodies and wants, not needs, to love.

Maxwell also tries incorporating a techno based rhythm section into "Luxury: Cococure" and "Matrimony: Maybe you." Both songs are more reflective and contemplative about relationships. "Maybe you might be more than just a one night lady/ Maybe you might be matrimony tryin' to save me/ Maybe you may be the lady lady love" from "Matrimony" also expresses a sense of maturity in Maxwell's songs.

The last half of the album provides a more structured arrangement. "I'm You: You are me and we are you" and "Arroz con Pollo," both incorporate a deeper funk/acid jazz sound. Featuring smooth but bright sounding horns in the background, Maxwell's sound becomes edgy and raw, describing a greater pleasure than previously expressed. There is a brief interlude with "Submerge: til we become the sun," a solid ballad about intertwining lives. But on "Gravity: pushing to pull," he returns with a greater tension and sings with a greater need: "I'll be wantin'/ I'll be huntin." Explicit and driven, "Gravity" represents a heightened sexuality.

In the end, Maxwell returns to old form with "Eachhoureachsecond ... of my life." Sung against a high melody riff and followed with a low baseline, "Eachhour" seems less tentative or transient.

Overall, "Embrya" is typical Maxwell fare, floating seductive melodies mixed with a heavy bass groove. While this is enjoyable, by the end the listener hopes that Maxwell's next album will be more about artistic exploration, less about saturation.