Frats react to changes in alcohol policy

Members of the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council took part in "tips training" -- classes on how to recognize and deal with intoxication -- as part of the new alcohol policy which will officially go into effect this fall.

The tips training, part of the new alcohol policy formed in the aftermath of the recommendations made last November by the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs, involves alcohol awareness education and closer monitoring of parties, CFSC Summer term President Jaimie Paul '00 said.

As well as the door monitors who check students' IDs, there will be a combined presence of Safety and Security officers and student monitors patrolling parties to ensure there is no underage drinking or overcrowding, Paul said.

The tips training, with heightened presence of Safety and Security, should help the College enforce a Summer term keg ban, Paul said.

According to the new policy, CFS houses who fail to abide by the rules will face censure by the CFSC Judiciary Committee.

The effect of the new policy on the social scene at the College still remains to be seen, but discussions between the Student Assembly and the CFSC are underway for a campus-wide community service program as well as events where students can enjoy themselves without alcohol, according to Adam Siegel '00, the CFSC events manager.

Siegel said the new policy should encourage students use their creativity and imagination in organizing alcohol-free events.

But Corby Kelly '99 said the administration is underestimating the central role that alcohol plays in the College's social scene.

Epsilon Kappa Theta sorority president Lyndsay Harding '00, said many of her sorority's social events will no longer take place because of the new policy. However, she said this would not affect the sisterhood, community service and programming events they had planned.

Another sorority president, who asked to remain anonymous, said the new policy could cause environmental and student safety problems.

"Encouraging more binge drinking, most likely with hard alcohol ... I feel like this will only be making drinking less safe for students," she said.

Paul said this is a transitional time for the College and the new policies will be reevaluated at the beginning of Fall term.

Paul argued students have always had the option to drink hard liquor and their personal safety ultimately rests on their own shoulders.

Paul said she agrees with the new policy, but said it is the responsibility of the student body to help the administration and the CFSC develop an alcohol policy for the College that is effective and realistic.